New Iron Pony in the Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Iron Pony in the Stable

New to the GS Resource Center, and finding the site so much more than helpful, and the draw of information plentiful. Just picked up a starter Suzuki, having narrowed the field prior to purchase, by reading a slew of articles, and suggestions from your body of contributors, and other riders, I settled on an 82' GS 650-GZ, slathered with flat black paint by the prior owner, not the best of choices, as it hid a rich Maroon hue, which though rather.common, is quite fetching. With 14k on her ticker seemed a reasonably proper figure for the agreed upon price. To boot the factory service manual just came in the mail, and notwithstanding the missing or damaged pieces, I should have her running before the first blast of old man winter arrives in Central Ohio. Wish me luck, and patience in the restoring and refurbishment. of this beautiful vintage classic. Have a great week everyone.

Welcome to the site.
    Hopefully another month of riding before a lot of us have to put them away.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome to the site, and the wonderful world of GS's. Good luck with the new ride.

And pictures or it didn't happen. We love pictures, even pictures of just a pile of parts...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

F A,

Welcome to GSR.

Were about is Mt Vernon...?

Are many GSR members in Ohio.

SW Ohio seems to have lots of great riding.
        (I have been to Athens and Marietta, with a bike I had just bought in trailer. Had to, just had to, just HAD to, get it out and ride a while. disspite the status of the licence )

I had an 82 GS650G for 20+ years since it was new. Never had to do much on it, so never really learned much about it.
        THen got an 850G and then an 1100GK, of course then they were 20 and then 25 and then 30 years old, so, ah, now I have some experience with working on them.

Post any question in appropriate technical section.
        Lots of folks here willing to help.

>> later note.
        Now I see that you said "central Ohio" , and now I see Mt Vernon is north east of Columbus.

Last edited by Redman; 10-12-2015, 07:19 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Happy Halloween everyone! What was once a bane, frequently becomes a blessing. My obsession with riding never sated, the new/old GS 650 GZ, has prompted new part, and tool purchases already. The earlier owners care was catch-as-catch-can, deliberately omitting choke controls, emissions hoses, and even dropping the gem, busting the throttle control entirely. She will never be bone stock, as the factory parts are few, and far between, but that she's preserved is the important factor. The rectifier/regulator ordered, carbs, and petcocks to rehab, is the next order. I don't see any GS's per se anywhere. about. Harley's abound here, as do Goldwings. I pray that my fallen angel runs soon, as I'm carrying the motif to what little body work she has left. Gustave Dore, and Paradise Lost aside, the ride will smack of the pit, but in a lovely literary fashion. The Dark Imperial Burgundy substituted with charcoal greys, defined with cool & warm ivories in the design. The structure smoothed out like a West Coast Customs, and everything. buttoned, and tucked in for a Sano presentation. Hoping. for a museum piece, as my airbrush, and black heart, have moldered too long in darkness, and my preferred vocation as artist smolders still. Its Beauty & The Beast rewritten. Pictures at midnight, as the light of day shrinks into hiding from the horror to follow.

Comment

Have to upload pictures later, with the petty annoyances of a particular Polish Emigre demanding my distracted attention from a marriage of heaven to hell. Happy All Hallows My Friends.

Comment

Small world- I was born in Mt. Vernon, Ohio over 57 years ago. Wonder if we are more related than just GS bros.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome aboard Redman. I rarely see any makes other than HD's, and have acquaintances with Goldwings, but nearly none vintage GS's, discounting the one my brothers' neighbor tried to sell me. Your. information is correct on my location, and yet I believe there is a mildly strong support of biking here in the state, with all the "Look out for Motorcycle" bumper stickers I regularly see. Many things to work through on the 650, but I'm confident that she's going to sputter to life eventually after her ten-year hiatus as dust-collector in Joe's Garage. Have a great weekend, and a Happy Halloween.

Comment

Small wonders abound ever, as little suprises never cease to captivate me daily. The Kriners (my fathers' family), and the Jones' (my mothers side), have been in these parts decades, or more. Marriage still being advocated as they are, we may well be related, if by nothing more than a paper record at the Knox County Clerks Office. Either way, I refer to most I have common ties to as Brother. My blood ones rarely contact me, so adoption is a satisfactory means of substitution I would think. Thanks for the contact Brother. Have a great weekend, and look forward to hearing from you again.
                  Sincerely,
                  Murray Kriner

Comment

I'm dedicated to getting the bike running before winter dandruff litters the landscape, but I'm hornswaggled if I can figure out how to get the handful of miniature pics off my cell into a file to upload the images to the site, and into an album, that's already waiting for content. I will endeavour to prevail however. Thanks Spider.

Comment

Working...
                    X