Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures as promised

good afternoon everyone

thought id get some pictures up as promised.

this is how i got her and how she stands right now
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

and that's how she's been for the last 12 years, low mileage i know, i have managed to turn the engine over by hand seems ok, just need to strip her down and start to clean her up but just don't know where to start. been looking for a fuel tank and seat but they are either very expensive or c*%p so might broaden the search perhaps a different gs tank will fit like a 750 or something.

well tomorrow i'm going to take of the carbs and have a look and see if they are as bad inside as they look outside wish me luck being my very first restoration.

WOW!
    You should have a NSFW warning in the title. That thing is nasty.
    Good on ya for attempting the resto.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yikes..... its a crusty one for sure. Good news it that it appears to be complete. Good luck with the resto. Aerokroil may become your best friend.... Personally, id fully go thru the carbs and see if it runs first. As an ES fan, im always happy to see one being saved
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Fork stanchions! aargh. I would be looking for good ones soon....top of the list near engine.

Investigate and research. By the look of it, You need expect some trouble keeping forkseals functioning with that pitting....
        Stored on a foggy coastline was it?

Comment

Good luck with your parts search, are they plentiful over there? Not trying to discourage your restoration, but I think I would be parting that one out and using the money to find a better candidate.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

nothing a little rub down and the odd lick of paint won't solve. been wondering if i could make it look like a baby kat? love the look of those.
            i really would like to keep the old style looks but with modern front and rear end maybe a light streetfighter style as i think it's a big ask to get it 100% original again but i don't have very much in the way of a budget or experience but what i do have is my very own homemade shot blasting cabinet and plenty of ideas, i plan to do as much as possible with out paying out for to much apart from new parts bearings etc

[IMG]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s989.photobucket.com/user/voodoocustoms1/embed/tools/story"></iframe>[/IMG]
            [IMG]
            [/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]

had a little practice already and things don't come out that bad. the only other plus is a mate own's a car garage repair shop so i can use his parts washer and bearing press and his paint shop etc

Comment

OK So you said the carbs would be first. If that's a float needle they are probably not original.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

i just thought it was dyno jetted
                that was just a test piece once i had build the blaster, i have a full set of tokico 4 pot brakes that i have done from an old zxr 750 i used to have turned out ok so might try and use them or sell them for funding the old girls progress you know that pile in the bag of the shed or garage where you put stuff from other bikes you've own i've got some honda firestorm exhausts as well might see if they will cut down to make some custom stubby cans perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                X