New GS850GL owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS850GL owner

Hi all. I'm glad to introduce myself here as the new owner of a 1981 GS850GL. I've been lurking here for a little while in anticipation of acquiring one, but now I'm looking forward to joining the conversation as an owner/rider/fixer-upper. I appreciate communities like this one and admire all the generosity that I've observed here.

Most of my riding experience took place about 40 years ago (I'm 53 now), much of it off-road on a Yamaha 175 enduro and later a KX125 and a Husky 390 (I owe the scar on my chin to the latter). A career as a dancer meant taking a pass on life and limb-risking activities like motorcycles, but about 20 years ago near the end of that era I briefly owned a Yamaha XJ700, which I loved. An encounter with a slick exit ramp off the FDR in Manhattan put it out of commission and at the time I didn't have the wherewithal to do what was necessary to bring it back to life. My biking passion had to take a back seat to a new career and family. Which brings me more or less to today.

I'm good with tools and basic mechanics, but I'm not an engine rebuilder by any means. Perhaps most important is I enjoy learning new things and am willing to try. I look forward to my GS adventures, both on the road and in the garage.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Greg
    Last edited by Guest; 10-26-2015, 11:34 PM.

hi Nyitguy! standing by for pix! If you've been lurking you might already have been here...

I hear some links are down but if so, say so and someone else may have the thing you are wanting for you.

Comment

Thanks for the intro, but we might have to invoke a new rule, ... no help will be offered until we see some pictures.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think I'm safe so far...I haven't asked for help yet!

Comment

HI nyitguy and welcome to The Place. 850 is a good move. One question. How does career dancing qualify as taking a pass on limb risking activity ?
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            How does career dancing qualify as taking a pass on limb risking activity ?
            Quite simple, really. Break a leg, you can't dance. And, it's hard to be graceful with a cast on your broken arm.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I thought dancing was a limb risking activity
              Aren't Moto GP jockeys contract barred from dancing
              97 R1100R
              Previous

Comment

Steve got it right. When your ability to do your job, which for me included touring 6 to 9 months out of the year with a small dance company that couldn't afford to lose one person, is dependent on being 100% healthy, you tend to take really good care of yourself. At least I did. I've met plenty of dancers who would abuse their bodies in ways I couldn't imagine doing. And if I hurt myself dancing, at least I've got a good excuse for being out of commission. Being thrown after miscalculating an off-camber turn won't win much sympathy in that world.

Comment

​Congratulations-
                  The GS850 is a wonderful motorcycle
                  Some here will shower you with anti-GL invective's but do not let that sway your opinion.
                  The 850GL has a following in spite of those who would be heard otherwise.
                  Pictures are the 1st order of business - because we are voyeurs in the worst way and have a need to see what you have.

Here's mine --
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Thanks Wingsconsin. The GL fits the bill perfectly for me, I like the cruiser-lite look and the sportier than a cruiser ride. Yours is beautiful, I hope to get mine into more presentable condition, though it's not too bad now. I'll take some pics this weekend and post in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                      I thought dancing was a limb risking activity
                      I get your meaning now. Dancers get a lot of little injuries, but not usually the same category one potentially can get from falling off a moving bike.

One time, though, while teaching a new company member a particularly tricky move that involved me tossing her up into the air, she sort of tensed up at the peak of the move and flew out of my hands. She broke her fall with her hand and broke her wrist as a result, putting her in a cast for a couple months. So it can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

Here's mine -- ...
                        You can see mine by clicking the links in my sig.

My wife's bike is the 850L that follows the theme of this thread.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          You can see mine by clicking the links in my sig.
                          Been there, done that.

Comment

Originally posted by nyitguy View Post
                            I get your meaning now.
                            And we think we all speak English
                            Going way off topic here but what kind of dance were you bringing to the masses ?
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous

Comment

I started when I was 11, and have done acrobatics & gymnastics, tap, jazz, ballet, modern. Modern for the last 7 years of my career, which formally ended in '94. And though it's not exactly dance, I played football in high school and tried to make use of my dance abilities without being too obvious about it...

Comment

Working...
                              X