New kid with an 82 GSX400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kid with an 82 GSX400

Hi there, Im David, and my dad gave me an 82 GSX400 for my 20th birthday.

He got it in a package deal with a few other bikes. I had been slowly working on an 82 Yamaha XJ550 Seca, but it was missing alot of little odds and ends, had alot of miles on it, and it never ran right (CV carbs without the factory airbox)

So I just got this Saturday night, Ive had a quick looksy over it and I think I like it better. Its got 30,000 Kms on it, and its pretty much all there except for the sidecovers. I havent tried to fire it or anything yet, but my dad says when he puts a battery on it it turns over, and everything seems to work.

The 2 problems I can see is its been dropped, which broke the right side brake handle off, and also broke the mount for the stabilizer rod on the rear drum. Ill either have to get it welded or replace it as it cracked the aluminum on the drum itself. Also, a previous owner put a tire on the front that was wayyyyy too big and cut and welded the front fender to fit

Sorry, this is the only picture I took of it, other than the VIN. I gotta say though that big fender on the back has to go!

Hopefully Ill get back to my dads place this weekend and maybe get it to fire, Cheers!

Oh, before I forget, is there a VIN charector that will identify either a 400 or 450?
    Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2015, 12:02 AM.

Look on the front of the engine at the cylinders - it will have the cc's cast into it. By the square caps on the headcover, I can tell you it's not a 450 though....

Comment

It's a 400.- a GSx400 where the x means 4 valve per cylinder.
      Per the fender, a modern tire replacement for the 19"rim (90/90 19) is rare and a 100/90 19 (easier to find) -both turn very close to the stock fender.

Look around the valley for a scrap yard or post an ad in craigslist. The brake shoe plate should be easy to find as these bikes are not so uncommon where you are.

added it'll say gs40x on the engine .
      VIN won't exactly tell you cc's
      J=Japan
      S=Suzuki
      1 =Motorcycle
      G=multiple cylinder
      K=250-399 cc
      5=4 stroke twin
      1=model version
      A= base model with unrestricted power output( sometimes they detune them to suit a country's restrictions, ie:GermanyI've heard so I guess that would be this)
      7=vin "check" result of algorithm!
      B=1981 (yours will be C here, I expect)
      2 =means which suzuki factory
      then motorcycle's 6 digit serial number...
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-02-2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys, Ill have to find an admin to help me change the thread title now! Gorminrider, the 5th VIN charector is K and the 10th is C, I had my dad look for me and confirm that it is a 400, Its at his place and its about an hours drive from my place.

I was gonna try to get the plate welded, as Ive done it in the past when a dirtbike fell off the trailer which broke the same piece.

But first things first I gotta try to get it running hopefully this weekend! Cheers!

Comment

Good luck! they are worth the effort...

Comment

Thanks!

Maybe you guys would know better than me. Im trying to figure out what submodel it is. I know it isnt an E, cause the E models seem to have the ugly squared off tank. I kinda thought it was a T, but all the Ts Ive seen on google have wire spoke wheels. It seems like it might be an L, But it doesnt have the big rise in the seat, or all the ugly chrome tubular jewelery on the back, so I dunno! Most here dont seem to like Ls that much anyways.

Comment

When dealing with the twins, the L model really isn't that different than the T. Swap the bars, get creative with the rear fender section, and reshape the seat foam, and you can have a pretty fun looking bike.

Some of the mounts can differ between models (like the seat and tail plastics I think?), but don't fret too much about the submodel.

Comment

Alright, sweet! I was gonna get a set of clip ons or clubman bars for it, I kinda wanna go alteast kind of cafe racery, as thats what I had my heart set on with my XJ550 Seca, I just dont know if I want a cafe tail section ir just a brat/tracker type seat. Id like to be able to have a passenger. But at the very least the big ugly rear fender is going, which means a new lower profile taillight and probably turn signals as well

Comment

That's a T a 17" rear wheel will confirm.
                  Please save the bits that you don't keep for someone that will appreciate them.

Comment

Well its got the 17" rear wheel, which makes it a T.

I didnt have any time to work on it this weekend, with heavy rain saturday evening and prior obligations on sunday, but I was able to take pictures of my XJ550 and throw that thing on craigslist.

I received a box of parts from a very nice fellow on here, with a brake drum, brake lever and some side covers and a couple little smalls.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Dave. Looks like a fun ride to do up.

What were the other bikes your dad picked up in the deal?
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                        Welcome to the forum, Dave. Looks like a fun ride to do up.

What were the other bikes your dad picked up in the deal?
                        Just one other, my mistake, a Kawasaki 650, similar era, but basically just a frame and engine with wiring, no tank or seat.

He also got an 80 Kawasaki 750 LTD around the same time, I thought it was in the same package but I was wrong

Comment

Well I had a few minutes to work on this thing. I was taking apart and de gumming the carbs on my XJ550 so I figured Id pull the carbs on the GS and clean them. Turns out I didnt need to because the jets were clear and the needle valves were moving freely. I was gonna start it but the battery I have is dead and my charger blew up, so that will have to wait for another day.

I had a closer look and apparently someone had the same idea I had, the rear fender has been moved farther inward. Not quite enough for my liking though. Also I found some funky wiring near the electronics, hopefully not a past-stator problem

Comment

Well, I no longer have a Yamaha. I was trying to start it, it first coughed fuel put of #3, then backfired through #3 carb, which ignited the fuel that was coughed onto the battery a split second before, which spread to the wiring, and when it was burning good already it burned through the fuel line, and te tank had about 3 or 4 liters of fuel in it. All the electrical is burnt, all the handlebar controls, the guage cluster, and every rubber piece on the bike.

All I can salvage is the rear fairing/tailight, rear turn signals, I think maybe the headlight and bucket which had perfect chrome on it, and the footpegs.

The Yamaha will be dismantled ad scrapped and all attention will be focused to the Suzuki. I am also buying a couple fire extinguishers.

Comment

A radical way to sort the chaff from your motorcycle life...

sorry to hear of it.
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X