Hi new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi new member

Hi just joined the forum. I have a GS 1100ex that I bought new in 1981. I haven't rode it in about 16 years. It has been sitting in my 40' X 50' shop (metal bldg). I have friends that have been bugging me to put Suzy back on the road. I thought this would be a simple task as she has been out of the weather. WRONG!! Pulled gas tank that was nasty and gooey but not much rust inside. Cleaned and coated with redkote. Carbs were gooey also so pulled them apart and rebuilt. Air box boots and manifold boot were hard as rocks so got new ones. Got her back together with new battery and fired her up and sounded bad. Compression test and leak-down showed #3 with 60% leak-down ! #3 must have had open in take valves open and bike was on side stand all these years so gooey flue must have settled in cylinder and made rings stick. A little MM oil overnight and broke loose! Should have known as I changed oil before I tried to fire and had about 2 quarts of old gas with the oil in the crankcase. Well fighting electric gremlins now. Worst thing is to let your bike sit. I will be looking for advice from y'all. Thanks Bill

Welcome,

Sounds like you've been busy discovering many woes from letting her sit.

My bike has been sitting on center stand for the past year and I'm sure she'll need special attention when I get back home.

Post pics of your bike and the things you discover. Thanks and enjoy your way around here.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome! If your oil was gas filled, check the fuel tap. Sounds like it was left on prime, or it may be bad.
      Good luck with the recomissioning
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
      X