Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GX/GSX/GSXR mix - a work in progress

Hi all, this is my first post here...

A few weeks ago while browsing eBay I saw an 'interesting' looking '78 GS1000. It has leading axle forks (GSX1100??) an aly swingarm (again GSX1100??) a slabside GSXR1100 motor and some homemade / aftermarket panels. And the words 'Thunder Downunder' on the side. Oh, and a scorpion on the back. Tough.

The looks aren't to my liking, but the engine and frame are, so I put a bid on it and waited..

While waiting I bought some old GSX1100 bits. A tank, tail and side panels.

I won the bike. Well, I won the auction and paid for the bike. Here it sits in all its glory next to my Blandit

Next I bought a GSX1400 front end. It shares the bearings but has a longer stem, so the stem was turned down a bit to let the top bearing seat and a spacer was made to fit under the top yoke. I tried putting my Bandit's rear wheel in the GSX swingarm

Test fit of the tank and panels. I need to make some brackets, but it looks alright!

I want to get rid of the exhaust that was on it. I bought an early 00s gsxr ti exhaust and 'encouraged' it to fit. This is when I realised that whoever swapped the motor in has mounted it too low at the front. The cross brace on the frame gets in the way of the middle two headers. So I made new front and upper rear engine mounts. I still have to do the bottom ones. The ti exhaust sits very low, even with the engine raised. I might end up using it on my bandit and finding something else for the GS. Or swap the Bandit's Delkevic on while I look for something better. It's shown with the old mounts, but even raised it will be LOW. I like the curve of the headers though, and their lack of weight and pretty titanium colours...

The last guy's solution was to weld extensions and put a bend in the middle pipes. Can't be too good for exhaust flow

Next up is to turn some stainless exhaust spacers.. These will allow more exhaust options from other GSXRs, Bandits, etc. The exhaust ports are quite a way back and modern headers aren't log enough between the flange and the top bend of the exhaust. I've seen this done on another GS build using a Bandit 12 motor and it worked well.

I have a Bandit 12 rear wheel on its way to me. It will need some spacers made up, but it will work with the GSX1100 sprocket carrier. The rear brake is another problem I have to address..

It sits like this at the moment. There's a pair of old Marzocchi shocks on the back. They look pretty cool but feel WAY oversprung and under damped!

I'm also looking for rearsets. I'm leaning towards GSXR1100 aftermarket jobbies. The ones that were in it have been re-purposed as front engine mounts. They were pretty hideous as rearsets. But parts aren't easy to come by in Aus!

So.. More updates to come soon hopefully..

That is the great thing about Suzuki models....so many mix and match options that need little to no machine work make fit.
    I like the GSXR in the GS frame

Comment

I'm liking where your taking this project.
      Looking forward to seeing more.
      Please keep posting.

Comment

Working...
      X