'82 GS750T from CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS750T from CA

I've been following the forum for a while now- reading, looking, researching, etc. I bought a 1982 GS750t about 4 months ago and hope to get it running better than new. The bike is in decent shape- runs pretty good, has almost all its original parts, and hasn't been mod'd too much (air box is gone, re-jetted). I'm hoping to get some info on how best to move forward with getting this bad boy running RIGHT! It has what looks to be a head gasket leak (has 23,500miles). I plan on getting it worked on, but wanted to know what else I should look to replace while its apart. I don't wrench (I frame) so I'll be having a local shop do the work.
    I did have the carbs cleaned, oil changed, clutch springs changed, and new pads up front. I'm thinking of changing all gaskets including valve stem seals and maybe rings; and definitely a valve adjustment . It runs great, but won't idle right sometimes even after warming and running.
    Thank you much. image.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2015, 03:00 PM.

Welcome. Nice looking bike. If i was told by a person that they were going to paint the bike those colors, i may have given them an odd look..... But it looks good. Good luck with it.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks. Luckily the bike DOESN'T look to bad with the paint job- I bought it that way!

Comment

What a beautiful bike! There's plenty of documented information on how to do perform maintenance. You'll need to learn because around here the advice is that YOU are the best at taking care of your bike.

Post your bike here too:

Looking forward to more replies about your "T".

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Frank, where are you in Ca? Call me at 714.356,784five before you take the head off! 95% of what SEEMS to be head gasket leaks are just 2 orings that are VERY easy to replace to check first.
          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Frank, where are you in Ca? Call me at 714.356,784five before you take the head off! 95% of what SEEMS to be head gasket leaks are just 2 orings that are VERY easy to replace to check first.
            Ray.
            Well, that's good to know. I had mild leaks on the head gasket but it wasn't too bad according to the feedback I got. Where are these o-rings located?

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

A valve-adjustment should be the very first thing you do when tuning these bikes.

Comment

Im hoping you are correct Ray. I've been contemplating his head gasket leak thing for a month or so. Im not excited with the thought of tearing down the engine completely. If it's a couple o-rings I'm in business. I will need the valves adjusted though. I'll give it a shot but don't want to screw anything up- thinking about having a shop do it (I don't wrench much, I frame). It runs nicely. I'm swapping out the pods the PO put on for the original air box- I hear it runs better that way.
                Any step-by-step, how to for dummies, with pictures on here for valve adjustments? = dumb question right! Can I get a link?
                •• I'm in the Studio City area. I'll be giving you a ring later this evening.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2015, 01:37 PM.

Comment

They DON'T run better with air box, over pods, if they are the right pods & the carbs are tuned correctly. Don't take it to a shop & get reamed out of your money. I am 3 blocks south of Disneyland & will help you.
                  Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                    A valve-adjustment should be the very first thing you do when tuning these bikes.
                    Now, that....I did do.

Ed
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

So after degreasing as best I could- I found oil dripping down from image.jpg
                      You can see it almost pooling right above gasket at the cylinder head (that peak there)."
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I almost looks like it dripping down from between the fins NOT from the gasket area you see in the pic

Comment

One moreimage.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            Ray.
                            Tried calling you a couple times. I'm calling from 818.497.46--

Comment

You never left a voice mail & I don't answer #s I don't know. I texted you.
                              Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X