My Newbie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Newbie Thread

Sorry for pouncing on another new members thread, so I'll start my own here.

I had been out of bikes for awhile and had gotten into cars. I didn't like the way bike styles were evolving with the likes of the GSXR and the Ninjas. I bought a 1980 KZ1000 MKII when the J models were coming out in 1981, so I got the year old (but new) bike for $2995. I loved that bike and would still have it if it weren't for a girlfriend that loved to spend more money than I made.

Recently, a buddy of mine told me about a 1985 GPZ1100 that was in his wife's friend's garage. I offered to buy it, but he wanted me to do research to see what it might be worth, so I went to Ebay. Not finding one, I just typed in "Kawasaki 1100." Very little came up, but those familiar with Ebay knows that they will also show items related to what you are looking for. This guy had the GS1100 G listed, but the auction was almost over. He had bidding starting at $1600, but nobody bid on it. I contacted him and asked if the Kawasaki deal fell through, if he would take $1600 for the GS. He agreed. Well, the GPZ deal never materialized, so I worked it out to have the GS delivered from outside Reno to where I live on the Texas/Mexico border. It had been sitting for 3 years, so I had to have the carbs rebuilt and synched, but everything else (stator, regulator, oil leaks, etc.,) I did myself. My cousin had a GS750 and a GS1000 back when I had my KZ1000, so I knew what the GS's were capable of. I don't feel I "settled" on the GS, but rather I got a better deal! I would still love to pick up that GPZ, though.

The story on why Motorcyclist built the bike was, they were doing an article on updating the older GS. Most of the changes were cosmetic, with new shocks and coils installed as well, as was the new GS1000S fairing and SuperTrapp header. The emblem for the header was missing, so I contacted SuperTrapp to see if I could get one. The new one says "Kerker by SuperTrapp" so I presume they bought Kerker headers. The header is filthy on the back side of it, so I will pull it off and clean it up. Then I will put the new emblem on. It also appears that something must have happened to the rear signals, and someone put on these generic ones. They will be changed back.

Short story long, I love the bike and plan on owning and riding it till arthritis keeps me from pulling the clutch in. In hindsight, I bought a new Arai helmet back in 1985 that was a Wes Cooley "autographed" helmet. A few years ago, I sold it on Ebay for almost what I paid for it. I wish I still had it as it was the blue/white/black version.

The first picture is from Motorcyclist, the next couple from the Ebay auction, and then at my house.

Last edited by Deuce; 11-22-2015, 12:03 PM.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Wow !...........................
    Beautiful looking bike. Many happy miles and safe arrivals.
    In case you haven't yet found it http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Liter+ Bike!

Hey Duece,

Great looking bike. "Ride till you can't pull the clutch in". That's awesome!

The two stripes on the top of the tank/tail and the blue glare shield are a couple of things my eyes noticed. Everything else is great; those two items left an indelible impression in my eyes.

Welcome!

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I see in the recent pics that your bike has the highly sought after S mirrors.
        Did you find a set or did the previous owner include them?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks, all! I did notice that the mirrors on the picture from the magazine were non existent. I'm assuming a previous owner found them. The guy I bought it from was worried I was going to part it out. I think the only way I would have done that was if the motor was blown and/or it had been wrecked. Had that been the case, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

As far as the stripes not looking correct (okay, I went with the blue windscreen since that's what it had when I bought it) they are the same as on the GS1000S.

Last edited by Deuce; 11-22-2015, 04:41 PM.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
          Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Welcome Deuce. Cool bike & great story. My dad and his brother used to run Kaw 900s in the 70s. After my GS project, I may look for one of those.

Comment

What a sweet bike! Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

Welcome. Cool bike with a cool story. I think someone posted a link to the CL ad for it here a while back. Im glad it ended up in good hands and on the GSR.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  Welcome. Cool bike with a cool story. I think someone posted a link to the CL ad for it here a while back. Im glad it ended up in good hands and on the GSR.
                  It could have been on CL. I know nowadays, you can type in what you're looking for on CL and it will bring up everything from all over. The guy was outside of Reno, Nevada. I found it on Ebay. Another couple of days and I would have missed out on it.

Comment

Be careful with those mirrors. NOS the left one goes for around $500 and the right one a little less on Ebay. I saw a left one go for $1000 once..........
                    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Welcome, and that is a beautiful bike, glad you got it!
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------
                      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                      X