Proud poppa of a rusty 83 GS1100L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proud poppa of a rusty 83 GS1100L

Hello all. New guy here from western Washington state. Yesterday I got myself a free 83 GS1100L which I plan on restoring to some degree. What degree will come down to budget more then anything but I'm also just dying to get back on 2 wheels after a 10 year or so hiatus. Ironically enough, my bike has a nearly identical hiatus since it last ran as well.

So my current plan is replace all fluids, plugs, and filters before even trying to start her. A battery recharge or replacement and cleaning of, well, everything of course is in order. Once I've gotten her running, I'll start to work out a plan for what I want to do as far as restoring/customizing. This will be a daily driver for me so won't be going too crazy regardless.

The previous owner knew almost nothing of the bike other then that it hasn't ran in a decade. So, my major issue at the moment is no keys. She couldn't find them anywhere and, as the bike was free, I took it anyway.

So my question is if anyone knows the best and/or cheapest way to get keys. Should a key for the ignition on this model also be the same for the fuel tank and seat? My main concern is the seat at this point so I can start disassembling things. I gently tried a screwdriver but no go and wasn't about to force it at this point. I have the vin but couldn't find key codes anywhere, though I haven't removed the ignition to see if they put it on there anywhere.

So any help, advice, questions, greetings, or critique of my plan or anything shall be met with gratitude. Thanks all in advance and I'm very happy to have found this site as it's truly a wealth of info. Have a great day all and with a little luck, work, and hopefully minimal cash, I'll be back on the road in the proper fashion in a few months

Keys have three digit numbers, should be on ignition switch. One key fits all as long as nothing has been changed out. Oh, and welcome to this excellent site.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

And when you find the number, let us know. One of us should have a duplicate we can send ya. Some dealers or locksmiths can make keys,
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Congrats on the score, good luck with it. This guy is selling a complete set, ignition, tank, seat, and helmet lock, but it's for an 850, so I'm not sure if they're all compatible:

Comment

Welcome X. Got any pics of the bike?

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome all and my first order of business will be getting to the code on the ignition.

I tried putting pics in before but was having issues. My laptop died so only access is via my phone. But here goes nothing...

Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2015, 03:42 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Welcome, and good luck with the bike.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I found the code and it's 434. I am not looking for a freebee or anything so happy to pay for a key, if anyone here has one. I'll put a post up in the parts wanted section tomorrow. Otherwise, I'll also ask around at local locksmiths and dealers to see what they'd be charging. Regardless, thanks as always

Comment

When you get it up and worthy, join us at the PNW rally this coming year.

A carb cleaning is in order as well a new O rings behind the carb to head mounts. Replace all the O rings in the carbs and make sure the rubber plugs over the primary circuit are all there and seal. Flush the tank with fresh fuel as well. If there is any gas in the oil you may want to clean and change the O ring in the fuel valve.

V
                  Last edited by gustovh; 11-24-2015, 10:09 PM.
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Remove the switch and go to a locksmith. They usually charge me 10 bucks for 2 keys. Usually while you wait. You have to use the ignition switch, not the gas cap or seat lock stuff, because it has more points in it to be arranged. The ignition switch will open the other two as it has the necessary points. The other two have fewer points to arrange and keys made from them don't have enough to operate the switch.

Comment

There are a handful of 434 keys on ebay as well....$10-13 shipped.

Get the best deals for Suzuki 434 Key at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

D

Comment

I have keys coded 434 for my bike if you wanna get ahold of me dlane2753@hotmail.com thanks Darren

Comment

I opened up a second thread for the keys and had another member make some for me. Thank you very much though.

While I'm posting, update is I'm awaiting a few extra bucks again to get a screw extraction kit. Big emphasis on the word rusty in the title. Ah well... One step at a time. If it takes me years, I shall not be stopped. Lol

Comment

Working...
                          X