Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Scotland

Hello all

I've recently been given a 1979 gs1000s from my dad , he was the second owner from new so he's had it a while.
    The bike has been standing for about 10 years in his garage so the time has finally came to restore it and get it back on the road

should I go original or should I do some period mods I hope I'm asking in the correct place

Hi and welcome.
    Yes you have come to the right place
    This site is an invaluable source of information http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    You will probably have more than enough to be going on with just to get it running reliably without thinking of mods just yet.
    I would suggest you consider getting a series regulator for the charging system to avoid trouble up ahead.
    First post in this thread is useful too http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...istakes/page14
    And this thread for checking the charging system http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192
    Last edited by Brendan W; 12-01-2015, 05:22 PM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Welcome aboard!

First thing you should do is show us pictures of it as you received it.

Then get her running and show us more pictures!

Does it look like this, by any chance?

image.jpg
      Last edited by Rob S.; 12-01-2015, 07:19 PM.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

image.jpg
        Hi all

ill be be starting the rebuild as soon as I'm home from my trip away , thanks for those links Brendan , I've attached a pic of the way she sits just now

Comment

Lovely looking bike and a bit of a rarity in the red scheme. Will make a head turner for sure.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Welcome to the site, Ross.
            Nice looking S.
            Seeing leathers and a track bike in the photo, my vote is to head in the resto-mod direction.
            Is that an old Metmachex swingarm?
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Fine bike Ross and welcome!
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Glad to see the 1000S in Scotland! Beautiful country, but the weather can be daunting. Some of the most amazing classic Japanese bikes I've seen are in Scotland. Yours will fit right in. Don't be shy about keeping us updated with your progress with the bike, and photo's are a must!

Right side up

IBA# 12860
                Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                1984 KZ1100R
                2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Working...
                X