New Member and New Owner of an '80 GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member and New Owner of an '80 GS450

HI everyone, first post on here! I recently purchased a 1980 GS450 (Not even sure of the model yet) off of Craigslist for a whopping $200. The Odometer says 38,000 miles, and the title says 124,000 *is that even possible?* I figure if doesn't run for very long, its still a pretty cheap way to get into the bike world. I'll be posting pictures later tonight to hopefully get some advice on where to begin my build.

I haven't had the bike running yet, because the carbs were off when I got it. The previous owner claims that he just couldn't get the correct air to fuel mix. He put on pod filters and chopped off the mufflers, and I'm thinking he simply didn't rejet the carbs accordingly (he told me he knows nothing about motorcycles).

My plan for this bike is the standard cafe build: New seat, hidden electronics (under cowl), powdercoated frame and (possibly) engine, clip on bars, etc.

The previous owner claimed that there was an electrical issue where the lights would stay on with the key off, so I'm thinking maybe it has a bad ignition cylinder. We'll see. After getting it running, my first goal will be to figure out the electrical. I read on here that Polaris makes a rectifier that is a good replacement for the stock one on this bike. Then, I'll be seeing what needs replaced suspension/brake wise. My lovely previous owner decided to take off the rear shocks and hard tail it with some steel bar, so I'm hoping there aren't any other major "modifications" that'll need reverted for a sturdy bike.

One final notice, I'm a rather large person (6'3" and 250+ lbs), will I have any issue with this size bike, or is there anything I'll need to do to modify it for my size? I know I won't ever have a second rider, and most likely won't ever have any cargo, besides maybe a 5-15lb loaded backpack.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone, I'm excited to be a part of the community on here!

*Edit*

After reading through the mega welcome, it looks like Sonic Fork Springs is the place to go for finding heavy duty stuff. Also, in case anyone was going to jump on me, I've read the carb teardown/clean guides many times over and plan on soaking them tonight or tomorrow.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2015, 04:57 PM.

Below are 5 photos of the bike as it sits now. I took the tank off, as well as the sad attempt at a seat the previous owner created.

Comment

I would say a good buy for 200 $ well done , now get er running lol,Brian

Comment

Oh my.... that poor cycle.

Well, there are some frame differences between the 450 E/S and the L (I'm not sure about where the T falls in....). But just looking at the wheels on yours I would say it is an L model.

Suzuki was nice enough to keep many similarities between the 450 and the GS500 (made from 1989 to 2010 or so), so if you look for upgrades, look there first.

Comment

One suggestion... FULL exhaust, with mufflers/baffles.

Your first bit of maintenance should be a valve adjustment. First, as in before anything else.

Comment

Well I grabbed one of the intake boots to see just how rotted they were, and it cracked in my hand. So I just ordered new boots and O rings, and will be heading out to buy some stainless steel allen key bolts to go with it. The carbs have brand new floats, jets, O rings, boots, boot O rings, and bolts. I'm not sure about the needles but the action on them seems okay from what I can tell. The diaphragms look brand new and the gaskets looked okay as well. While I wait for all of this to come in I'll be perusing the forums for what to do next.

Comment

Welcome to the site, JR.
              Pretty sure that bike is not supposed to be a hardtail. Yikes.
              As you have perused the mega-welcome you know maintenance first, cosmetics second.

Okay, i'll guess... a '72 Z?
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Okay, i'll guess... a '72 Z?
                Close, its a '78 280Z. My dad bought it new and has had it ever since.

Comment

Working...
                X