Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850 in Utah

Hey everyone!

I picked up a '79 Gs850 last June and its been sitting in a storage unit since then but the bug has really bitten me to get it running now. I'm a student in southern Utah and I've been riding motorcycles initially off-road since the age of 12 and on the road since about 18 so I have about 12 years of riding experience so far. The bad about my bike is that it seems to have been very neglected (i.e. missing parts) and it needs some love.
    When I got it here's what was missing/ broken so far as I know:
    • no headlight or front turn signals
    • carbs missing parts (missing bowls and floats on 2 of the carbs)
    • no airbox or side covers
    • no starter, starter cover or starter solenoid
    • broken front master reservoir (basically dust if you touch it)
    • no key
    • rusted gas tank with lacquered gas in it and all over the petcock
    • old, spliced and cut up wiring harness (I just pulled it all off)
    • leaking front forks
    • incorrect seat (doesn't mount on it)
    • brakes=unknown
    • ape hanger type handle bars (not broken but just terrible)
    • rotten tires (still holds air to help me roll it around)

But here is what I do know is at least ok or I have bought for it so far:
    • Engine turns over fine as far as I can tell with the kick starter (just rotated it with my hand)
    • the frame has little to no rust
    • with evaporust and red kote the tank is back to an agreeable condition
    • new (used) carbs from eBay for it
    • new (used) starter and cover from eBay, it works.
    • new key for tank and ignition switch
    • cheap spray paint for the tank to keep the exterior rust at bay until i can sand it down and give it a good paint.
    • new carb boots and o-rings to attach from carbs to head from carolina cycle
    • Stock pipes in pretty great condition (little to no rust, few dents)
    • luggage rack and rear plastics in decent condition

So thats the good and bad about the bike so far (i realize the bad list is longer than the good list at this point). Currently I'm on the shorter end for cash because being a college student I make most of my money in the summer but i've decided to start with the things I can rebuild in my apartment until summer comes (carb rebuild, possibly calipers[unless I upgrade] and forks). Since this bike is missing a lot I've decided to not restore it to its regular looks but go for a brat ish style. I know many will be up in arms over this (I've prepared for the rioting) but with how much needs to be done I'd like to make it easier on me and keep it stripped down and put the work in that I know will be good.

That being said, here's my (rough) plan:
    • Clubman bars (I know many will think this folly) and grips
    • new wiring (I plan on using motogadget's M-Unit its a digital circuit breaker type thing) to keep things simple
    • electronic ignition and new rect. (possibly Dyna?)
    • new lighting all around (L.E.D.)
    • New tires
    • new seat and seat pan
    • possibly Pods (I know I know, Bring on the mob)
    • Rejetting carbs after pods and possibly pipes (probably need to re-jet anyhow due to my elevation, about 5000ft and I ride the mountains up to 11,000 ft)
    • new paint
    • new seals and fresh oil all around
    • new springs front and rear
    • eventually a Saltymonk brake setup (I quite like to stop)
    • new digital speedo and tach

Sorry this has been such a long first post, I just wanted to be thorough about me, my bike and my plans so that I can get some pointers and general suggestions. I'll try to be a good newb and not ask stupid questions and I'll search the site and my manual before asking questions about things so hopefully you don't hear from me much until I pass the newb phase.

Many thanks for all the fantastic info on this website and all of your input! Obviously some original parts won't be used and will be put up in the classifieds for sale (luggage rack, lights, speedo & tach, possibly rear plastics, old carbs missing pieces, etc) if there is something you need badly for a restoration PM me and we'll see what we can work out to help you with your resto!)

Here's the only photo I have that isn't of it in various pieces (removed the engine because I though I might need a full tear down), don't worry, I didn't pay $275 for it:

IMG_0358.jpg

Now that is a thorough first post.
    Welcome to the site, Viking.
    Your bike so you get to do what you want.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Any progress with this? I'm down in St George and just picked up an 81 gs850 and almost have it ready to ride!

Comment

Working...
      X