Newb from TX 80 GS1000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb from TX 80 GS1000L

Newb here from Texas. Bought a 1980 GS1000L from a guy in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma last weekend and got it home and just had a chance to go over it. Took the tank/side covers to a local painter for a fresh coat of red (a shade of Cadillac red as he works in a GM body shop). I am going to take off engine covers and clean/polish a bit. What is needed or will be replaced:

engine case bolts (going to stainless allen bolts)
    carb holders and orings
    coils
    case cover gaskets
    cam chain tensioner gasket (leaking)
    tach drive seal and o-ring (leaking)
    valve cover bolts and valve cover gasket
    oil plus oil filter

Already has Dyna S installed and will check timing when I get it running and check charging system. It ran fine when I picked it up but gas was leaking from #2 carb. Will rebuild carbs as well. I got a K&N drop in air filter with the bike that hadn't been used. Brakes look fine at this time but would like to change brake lines in the future and flush. Battery looks new and tests fine. Tires are new. Will service bevel gear and final drive later as well. All the electrical stuff works. Took out battery box to use impact driver on carb holder bolts and will media blast and repaint. Fork lowers need polished and I will replace fork oil later. Once I get bike running OK and back on the road I will perform 2nd wave of maintenance jobs. Electrical wires are unhacked and wiring harness looks fine. Chome, including exhaust is nice and will clean up fine.

GS1000L_1.jpg
Working...
X