Hello, GS'ers. roamer here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, GS'ers. roamer here.

I"m going to ride to the Wall for memorial day. I could use some help to get ready. I have not been able to find stainless front brake lines to replace the originals on my survivor 83' GS 1100 E. Does anyone know of a source or have some good used ones?
    Also- the clutch won't disengage. The basket was loose and rattling when I first picked it up. The last owner tried to tell me it was because the clutch was a Barnett like a Harley. I knew this was'ent true because I still have my drag bike I built in 83-84. Went thru a few clutches over the years with it. This one still has the original basket with new disks (steel&friction) but the nut was loose. Hit it with a 18 volt impact like I've done for years and put the cover back on and it does not release when the lever is pulled. I haven't taken it apart again yet to look but I cant think of any reason this would happen. Any body had a similar experience??? I have a few weeks to do this but as all ways the sooner the better. God Bless. Roamer.

I will also be looking for stainless brake line vendors soon, so will be watching this thread.

Clutch not releasing? Take the cover off, look at the channels on the inside of the basket where the fiber disks engage. If the bike has been abused, you will see some notches in the channels that were caused by the fingers on the disks hammering in there. When you pull the lever, the disks want to stay in the notches, not slide sideways a bit to release. The notches can be removed or minimized with some careful application of a file, but if they are really deep, it might just be easier to get a replacement basket.

Comment

You can get your brake lines from Z1 Enterprises. I don't have a number, but all you need to do is call and tell them what you want them for and they will make them up. I think it's the owner that is a member here.

Clutch? I would be pulling that clutch apart. Make sure nothing is stuck together. I hear that the disks can get stuck together when the sit for too long...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

For the brake lines, search the forum for "rennsport". He's an eBay seller, makes high-quality SS lines at a very affordable price. Or Z1.

As to the clutch, it can be any number of things. Incorrectly adjusted clutch cable is the most likely. Perhaps the plates have stuck together if it hasn't run in a while. Also a worn clutch basket will have divots where the plates have been sliding back and forth over the years, although I think this generally just makes the lever harder to pull.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
        X