Hey Guys. New here but don't own yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys. New here but don't own yet.

I only just got into bikes last year. I'm currently riding a 1980 Honda CM400T that I brought back to life. It has turned out to be a pretty nice bike but i'm wanting something a little more sporty. I do have a 1973 Yamaha RD350 I'm building but that wont be an every day rider.

Anyways, I'm currently looking at picking up a 1980 GS550E. I don't really know to much about them other then I like the looks and the basic specs I found online. Should be a decent improvement in power over the 400 I'm currently riding. Anything I should know about while looking at these?

Well, since you already own a couple vintage bikes, you probably realize that there are two types. First type is one that everything works, cosmetic work is minimal and the the bike has no real issues. You will pay for these things. Second type bike is one that is not currently running because the battery is dead or the carbs just need clean. These cost less initially but you will spend MANY hours making all the things right that are screwed up and put some bucks into this purchase.

Which to buy? Depends on how bad you want the bike. You probably already know the the previous owner may not be forthcoming on all the problems with a vintage bike. He may not even know. To purchase a 550, you will either pay up front for everything to be right or pay on the back end with money and labor. If the latter is the case, you will need enough "want-to" to keep after the bike till it is right.

A few years ago I owned an 81 GPz550 and an 84 RZ350 (Kenny Roberts replica) at the same time. The RZ was faster in sport riding in the twisties but the GPz was better in town and traffic. You just didn't have to work as much to keep it on the pipe as the RZ needed to be in its narrow power band to make any power. Doing some fast riding out in the country, the RZ was the weapon of choice. Commuting, the GPz. Things you might want to consider.

Comment

Welcome. Not sure if you're willing to travel, but heres one in NJ in need of some love, but looks decent
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
        Well, since you already own a couple vintage bikes, you probably realize that there are two types. First type is one that everything works, cosmetic work is minimal and the the bike has no real issues. You will pay for these things. Second type bike is one that is not currently running because the battery is dead or the carbs just need clean. These cost less initially but you will spend MANY hours making all the things right that are screwed up and put some bucks into this purchase.

Which to buy? Depends on how bad you want the bike. You probably already know the the previous owner may not be forthcoming on all the problems with a vintage bike. He may not even know. To purchase a 550, you will either pay up front for everything to be right or pay on the back end with money and labor. If the latter is the case, you will need enough "want-to" to keep after the bike till it is right.

A few years ago I owned an 81 GPz550 and an 84 RZ350 (Kenny Roberts replica) at the same time. The RZ was faster in sport riding in the twisties but the GPz was better in town and traffic. You just didn't have to work as much to keep it on the pipe as the RZ needed to be in its narrow power band to make any power. Doing some fast riding out in the country, the RZ was the weapon of choice. Commuting, the GPz. Things you might want to consider.
        You had some cool bikes. I would love to find a nice 1981 GPZ5550. Within the next year or 2 I will add one to the stable.

The GS I am looking at appears to be pretty clean cosmetically. Is claimed to only have 10k miles. Runs but not currently running or wont stay running do to carb issue. It has been for sale since November. It was listed at 875 originally. It seems every few weeks he changes the price. It was as high as 1175 and then 2 weeks ago it was 1075 and now as of 2 days ago back to 975. I have called and left a msg on his cellphone twice in the last few days with no return call. Not sure why you wouldn't want to call someone who wants to give you cash for your item.

Anyways is there anything I need to know about the GS or the 80 models in general?

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          https://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/5537575965.html

Welcome. Not sure if you're willing to travel, but heres one in NJ in need of some love, but looks decent
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]45506[/ATTACH]
          Thanks for the link. That's just a little to far for me to go.

Comment

Ahhhhh the old just need to clean the carbs issue. Hehehe welcome to the club.

I use searchtempest.com to search for bikes in my area. I generally specify a year range such as 1970-1985
            and look at all of them as I am not a brand-loyalty type guy. You can plug in your zip code and the distance
            from you that you are willing to look in. The bikes in your area seem to be $2000-3000 (or more) for ones
            that are running and right and a bit overpriced for the non-runners but the sellers are pretty consistent with
            their bad battery, bad starter or bad carbs excuses and almost always say they don't have time to fix the
            problem. You can translate this as potential labor intensive money-pit. Most bikes fail to get my juices
            going enough to think about slaving over them for months and spending the bucks to get them rolling again.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
              Ahhhhh the old just need to clean the carbs issue. Hehehe welcome to the club.

I use searchtempest.com to search for bikes in my area. I generally specify a year range such as 1970-1985
              and look at all of them as I am not a brand-loyalty type guy. You can plug in your zip code and the distance
              from you that you are willing to look in. The bikes in your area seem to be $2000-3000 (or more) for ones
              that are running and right and a bit overpriced for the non-runners but the sellers are pretty consistent with
              their bad battery, bad starter or bad carbs excuses and almost always say they don't have time to fix the
              problem. You can translate this as potential labor intensive money-pit. Most bikes fail to get my juices
              going enough to think about slaving over them for months and spending the bucks to get them rolling again.
              Yea, we have lots of overpriced bikes here. Everyone wants a fortune for their junk for some reason.

That 1100 is pretty nice but just to much bike for me right now. I'm really only interested in 550's and the more sportier bikes not the cruiser setups of the same bikes.

Comment

Working...
              X