Gs850gn 1979

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs850gn 1979

In 1999 I bought a GS850GN which was a bit of a wreck with 51K on the clock. 2001 it went back on the road after a complete restoration, at the time I was told by many biking friends that I had spent to much time and money on the project. 2016 I'm still riding it and it has just clocked just over 80k bearing in mind I have five other bikes the old girl has done well it has never let me down (should I have put that !!). I now have a problem with the L/H handle bar switch I think that there is an issue with the indicator switch it works ok to the left side but not to the right. I have tried cleaning the contacts but still no joy, as I suspected the complete switch is unavailable no longer so my question is has anybody resolved this issue with an aftermarket product that they would recommend.

Good to hear. I'm coming up on three years with my 80 T. It's only a baby with 47 on the clock. The left handlebar switch was causing a lot of problems with fast blinking and headlight and horn. I picked up a used one from a breaker in good nick apart from some light dirt on the contacts. Have you tried swapping the blinker feeds in the headlight and tail to see if the problem stays on the right.
    Welcome to the forum btw and in case you haven't yet found it http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Try tracing the wiring from the blinker light back to the connections. Had a problem with mine and it was a pinched wire that was grounding itself on the rear fender bracket.

Comment

If the contacts are clean it has to be something in the wiring, or perhaps some solder joint cracked. Can't be too hard to fix, but used switches are widely available.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have made a cursory check of the wiring but as the posts on here have advised i need to Have the drains up and look for an earth !! many thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
          X