Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs250 & GS450

Hey guys,

I own a 1981 GS250t Suzuki, and a 1983 GS450.

Journey: My first bike was a GS250, drove it for a year, and did my own electrical maintenance easy. Clutch blew, and I kept the bike to decide if I wanted to fix it later.. Well, later came, and I decided to fix it! My clutch push rod is bent in 3 places, and is now snapped in half, and I need a new oil seal, probably a bunch of gaskets... I picked up a GS450 for $200 for parts. But my friend who is helping me out, says that both could technically be running! But parts...

I read in other threads that L models were 'lesser'... It now begs the question to what exactly do I have?! Could someone please explain to me how I can check the exact model of my GS450? Apparently there are D and X models, as well as a few other kinds. The bike is totally new to me, and it is not written on my insurance papers. I would hate to pick a part that is for a slightly different model, and have to wait 4 weeks shipping and all that $$.

Thanks,

My gs250 Bike:
    http://i.imgur.com/EhuxYqG.jpg

Pending Updates:
    Full Vetter Fairing
    2 hard saddlebags

I live quite a ways from town, and figure having a pocket touring bike would be epic with all that storage.

Comment

The bike in the picture is a GS250TT from 1980, or a GS250TX (1981). The final letter in Suzuki's model code indicates the year - in this case T for 80, or X for 81. Be aware that Suzuki's model year started the prior autumn eg the 1980 models might have been in the dealer's showroom in late 79.

The GS250T had the same engine as the GSX 250 of the same era, but different styling.

I broke a clutch pushrod on one once. As long as you can remove the broken pieces, the new one just pushes in from the left, by the front sprocket. You might have disturbed the clutch cover gasket, or the pushrod oil seal, but if there is no other damage, it's not an expensive repair.

Post up a pic of your 450, someone will be able to help.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

The oil seal is messed up. But thanks for the tip on pushing it in from the left. For whatever reason, I couldn't pull it out to the right. It must have a stopper.

I will see about ordering these parts. Sure I will take a pic as soon as I go back to the shop. Thanks,

Comment

Working...
        X