Back in the saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the saddle

I've been lurking for 10 days and figured it's time to say hi. Three years ago I sold the 82 KZ440 that I'd been riding from May to Thanksgiving all through college. I've been missing riding (and the projects) so I just picked up a 1980 GS750L off Craigslist for $900. The pic below is from the ad. I already have the Windjammer removed and the sissy bar is going too.

The owner's daughter took care of the posting for him and when I asked her about the maintenance she said, "he said it always got whatever it needed." I thought that was comforting, but now that I think about it more it makes me nervous, hopefully it got somethings done regularly and not just when they were 'needed!' Regardless I'm going to run through all the maintenance so I know it's current.

I mentioned I missed the projects, right? While I'm already having an issue with the charging system. I rode it home an hour and a half when I bought it and it fired right up at three stops I made along the way, so I assume I messed something up. I don't think any of the wiring from the Windjammer would have effected this, but it might have been when I accidentally touched a screwdriver to the R/R and a fuse at the same time (big spark, fuse blew, but I suspect I fried some things. The stator R/R connections look burnt and I'm no longer charging). Anyway, waiting for Amazon to deliver a multimeter so I can go through the stator papers and go from there.

Appreciate all the info I've already found and look forward to learning from you all.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Things were looking good for the stator until I checked the wires to the engine casing and they all came up 1.0 ohms. So I've determined that I need to replace both the stator and the r/r. I eBay ordered a used SH775 off a wrecked Polaris ATV, but I'm having trouble choosing a stator. From what I've gleaned from hours of scouring google and this forum it seems like most stators are pretty good as long as you have a good r/r. Anyone want to chime in on these two?
    Caltric
    Electrosport ESG014

Amazon seems to think I need the ESG015 for a 1980 GS750L, but that doesn't seem correct from what I've found...

Comment

Working...
    X