New here, first bike 1983 Suzuki GS450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here, first bike 1983 Suzuki GS450L

New to the forum and to riding, I took a motorcycle training program with RTI early this summer and after months of looking at bikes purchased my first bike this past weekend a 1983 Suzuki GS450L. Its in pretty much mint shape, new pipes last year, 22k on it starts and idles nicely. At first I couldn't completely flatfoot it but after lowering the suspension I now can, which makes me feel more comfortable as this bike is bigger and a bit heavier than the 125cc Kawasaki Eliminator I rode for the safety course. I've had a few moments of 'Hope this bike isn't too big for me' but feel like I will get used to it. Just needs a safety and I can put it on the road, hoping to learn from this forum as I get out there and gain experience
    Attached Files

Very nice shape! Welcome to the forum.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Welcome aboard.
      Learn from the forum you will indeed. Very useful tidbits all over the place. Interesting that NM does not require safety inspections. I got an 81 GS850 registered and walked away with a plate and the bike didn't have brakes! Not to mention half of the engine was still in my garage. Oh wait, you're not in the US are you? Maybe it's not just NM.
      Any way, glad you're here.
      Roger
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

New pipe looks like is stock.
        Entire bike looks to be a nice fine stock example.

Good that you took the class.
        Take it easy this first season.

If you find that L is tiring to ride for more than a few miles, a small windscreen will help, and flatter bars will help a lot more too.
        Search for twr1776 postings/picture for modifying the L out of it (the bars are the big difference).

Do post more of your adventures with motorcycling.

Last edited by Redman; 08-02-2016, 03:44 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I've been riding every day since Friday, I'm really loving my bike and hitting up the open country roads Rode around the city too, at first I had a few stalls but now I'm riding much smoother. My first ride out it ended up pouring but I still enjoyed myself Not only is this my first bike, but my first vehicle and I am loving the new found freedom, can't wait for cooler temperatures lol

Comment

Welcome to the site.
            If you don't mind what city are you in and what did you do about insurance?
            As you no doubt found out Ontario vintage bike insurance can be a hit and miss proposition.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Near Ottawa Ontario, and for insurance I went with Dalton Timmis and got a good quote especially for my first time having insurance. They have no problem insuring vintage bikes

Comment

The bike does look nice, especially with those pipes.

Do you know what they are? It looks to me like there is a new weld on the old header pipe. Is there a manufacturer's marque somewhere?
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by RedWolf View Post
                  Near Ottawa Ontario, and for insurance I went with Dalton Timmis and got a good quote especially for my first time having insurance. They have no problem insuring vintage bikes
                  Glad to hear they took on a new rider.
                  I have been with the Dalton Timmis Vintage program for 8 years now and am very happy with it.
                  Lately i have been hearing of them having a problem insuring non-stock vintage bikes.

Great roads around Ottawa for riding.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Took it for a safety today, it didn't pass because the rear tire was too worn so I need a new rear tire. Then riding home in the rain from the bike shop I wiped out, too much front brake too quickly for the wet road. I'm ok, my front right signal light cover broke and my brake pedal got slightly bent Glad I always ride in full gear, now I've got to learn from my mistake. As for the rear tire I'm trying to find a new one at a good price online.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the fall. If it has been hot and dry for a long time, the roads are extra slick during and just after the first rain.

Canada's Motorcycle out of Quebec had some decent deals on tires recently.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by RedWolf View Post
                        Took it for a safety today, it didn't pass because the rear tire was too worn so I need a new rear tire. Then riding home in the rain from the bike shop I wiped out, too much front brake too quickly for the wet road. I'm ok, my front right signal light cover broke and my brake pedal got slightly bent Glad I always ride in full gear, now I've got to learn from my mistake. As for the rear tire I'm trying to find a new one at a good price online.
                        I'm Really glad you're ok. I wiped out on my first bike, Honda rebel 250. Hit a patch of sand in a corner and the front slid out from under me. Had to replace blinkers was all. Valuable lessons those are!
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Tough news on the spill.
                          Now that you may need parts you can discover the joys of a visit to Woodys Salvage.
                          Petes in Montreal has good tire prices.
                          Order the top brands of Motorcycle Tires, Helmets, Jackets, Pants, Boots, Gloves & Accessories with the lowest prices and fast FedEX shipping in Canada! With tons of inventory ready to ship and live stock access from all the big names like Alpinestars, Scott, Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Anlas, Avon, Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Kenda, Metzeler, Shinko and Heidenau.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Well, did it again today. Not sand but uneaven pavement. I pulled off to the side and took a picture, then when i started back onto the road the bike and i went in opposite directions. The pavement was four inches or so above the shoulder and my angle of ascent was all wrong. No harm done, just a couple of scratches on the edge of the windjammer and engine guards.

Another lesson learned!
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

If I let the bike shop order my new tire they're charging about $180 for the tire and installation. I carefully bent my brake lever back to normal; it was only slightly bent and for the signal light I salvaged what I needed from a friends parts bucket and found the exact same one.

Burgue73: I feel better knowing I'm not the only one learning lessons lol glad you're okay and that there was no damage done.

Comment

Working...
                              X