Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner in Jax, FL

Hi all,

Just picked up a '80 GS850GL this past weekend. Been reading up a lot on the forum - there's a ton of good information! The bike is really clean, the previous owner is a mechanic and welder so it seems like he took decent care of it. He did put pods on it, however, and I saw that that's one thing you shouldn't do so I'm wondering if I should swap it back out for the stock airbox. Everything is running great except for the turn signals. I'm currently trying to figure out what's wrong with it exactly (relay or control unit maybe?). The bike came with vetter fairings and trunk but not sure if I'll use them much.

Chris

00v0v_iPsFrKwFlwX_600x450.jpg

Welcome! Nice bike too. Are you in the West side? I use to live near 5 Points in Riverside.

I prefer original airbox so if the PO provided them, I'd put them back on. Take a look at all the contact points for the electrical issues.

Ride safe out there!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

nice bike! Keep that fairing awhile and try it out someday....getting rid of it is wasteful-the mounts for it are fairly specific to the bike's frame so selling it for the best price can take awhile.

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Are some other GSR members in NE Fla.
        At least One in Jax.

Pod instead of airbox makes it difficult to get the proper jets in the carb. But maybe that has been done.

With the seating position of the L and the buckhorn bars of the L, that might make riding any distance difficult/tiring. THe fairing/shield can help towards reducing that, but in FLA heat maybe you will not like the shield (in rain you will like it).

If it had a vetter faring on it, that means the t/signals were probably removed at one point, and then put back on... so that presents some situations for problems with the t/signals.
        But, anyway, describe the sysmptoms better in a posting in 'electrical'. Lot of folks willing to help, and most of them know what they are talking about.

DO post more pics and tell us more of your GS adventures.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Welcome to GSR.

Are some other GSR members in NE Fla.
          At least One in Jax.

DO post more pics and tell us more of your GS adventures.

dpep is is JAX.

And yes, post more pics! That front fender looks shorter than usual too.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Nice bike, but hey, it's an "L", I love them. I don't mind the bars either.
            I had an 850 and it was sweet. Plenty of power. Easy to maintain and a blast to ride.
            Original air box is best.
            Last edited by AMK; 08-18-2016, 06:05 PM.
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'm near the St. Johns area but go out to the Riverside bars a lot. Cool area! I'll hold on to the fairings for rain - I'm heading up to Whidbey Island, WA in 6 months so they may get some use up there. Any members in that area? I'll try to diagnose the turn signal problems and post something in electrical. Thanks!

0814161811.jpg

Comment

Lots of great places to visit at 5 Points and JAX Beach! Alewife is an awesome hangout and the food at Hawkers is the best! Also like Intuitions and Bold City.

Jacks Beach is great! Humptingers, Zeta's, Engine 15, and the Green Room are fun spots...World of Beers too but they closed the one at the beach. Got carried away with the locals.

Safe travels to WA state, hopefully you can meet local members.

Ed
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 08-21-2016, 10:40 PM.
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Very nice looking L you have there. I personally like the looks of an L but perhaps not as comfy on long rides. Just a thought, but a large windshield would be an easier solution to rain than having to take front signals off and mount a fairing. Also, the weight of a fairing will make a noticeable difference in the "flickability" and acceleration of your bike. Welcome to the hive!
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Nice bike.

Comment

Working...
                    X