Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lurking for a while. '82 GK minus the K

Hello from Colorado!

I've been lurking on the site for a while. This community is awesome and I've ready just about every post on here over the last few years.

In the late '90s I was given a CB750F wrecked basket case, and almost had it built and running before I had to move and couldn't bring it with me. I sold it for a song to a guy who left it in a parking lot until it was impounded and disposed of. Wish I had found a site like this back then, I might have finished it.

At my next opportunity I purchased a brand spanking new 2000 Suzuki SV650 that all the magazines were raving about. I had a lot of fun and my first real wreck on that bike. I put it back together and rode it all around the D.C. Metro area before moving to Colorado. This bike was stolen the month that I paid it off and dropped full coverage insurance. It was never recovered. I really miss this bike. Some lessons I had to learn the hard way.

A couple years later I was given a 1975 BMW R60/6 as a wedding present. it had been previously restored, but had been sitting for a while untouched so needed some help. I rode it infrequently because every time I did I had to fix or replace something and parts were so darned expensive. I sold this bike to help with a down payment of a piece of land in the country.

I borrowed a friends GSXR-600RR for a summer to keep myself sane, but once we move to the farm, with 10 miles of dirt road to the nearest pavement, I just decided I was going to have to learn to like driving a farm truck.

But that didn't last long. I love to tinker, and am always looking for a project. I found an almost running '81 GS450, the much maligned "L" model, on craigslist for a couple hundred dollars. And so I found this site!

When an '82 GS1100GK showed up on CL in pretty good condition, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to upgrade:
    IMG_20160903_185642355.jpg

I stripped her naked for the time being, found some nice 43mm fork ears and a 8" headlight. Dipped carbs and replaced buggered jets, replaced boots and o-rings, valve shims, throttle and clutch cables, mechanical speed sender (what ever you call it). Cut out old and melted wires and connectors, soldering everything I could find along the way. I rebuilt the front brake calipers and changed fluids all the way around. I just got a set of Katana coils and a mile of new plug wire. I just did the coil relay mod as the wiring is still pretty sketchy, but I'm planning on a whole new harness from scratch this winter while the she is sleeping peacefully in the garage, with full coverage insurance.

You guys are awesome!

Looks like a solid steed! Welcome to the funny farm.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

When you stripped off the luggage, did you keep it? I might be in need of a left saddlebag, especially if it is a black one.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, all the gear is tucked away in the garage for the time being. It was all painted that same blue color. I'll probably put them back on when I get tired of strapping stuff to the rear seat. If I change my mind I'll let you know.

Comment

Working...
        X