My first bike! :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first bike! :D

I've been browsing different threads on this forum for a couple weeks now and I figured it's time that I finally register and show off my new old bike.

This is my 1982 suzuki gs400L
    14695518_10211716815862536_1199515185934828458_n.jpg
    I purchased her for 850$(canadian pesos so its more like 650 usd). She runs great and overall is in pretty good shape considering her age.

So since the great white winter is approaching and that means riding would prove difficult I've decided to do some work on her before next spring.

My plans are:
    • New handle bars(in the mail now)
    • Bar end mirrors(in mail now)
    • Paint the tank & side covers (currently prepped for paint and waiting for the rain to pass)
    • New suspension-fork seals/oil/springs, rear shocks. Progressive brand is the plan for the fork springs & rear shocks
    • 18" wheels for the front and back. Hopefully spoked wheels but I might settle for mags. Obviously this would also mean new tires
    • new seat/cover(the old vinyl has a tear)
    • Give all the chrome a nice polish

I may also end up swapping the airbox out for pods, swap the exhaust for some reverse megaphones & then rejet the carbs for the proper mix after those mods.

Anyway my plans are just a loose outline and I appreciate any advice and tips anyone can offer.

"Canadian pesos" are you an AvE fan?

Bike looks to be in really good shape, I would strongly consider getting to know it first before going all crazy on the mods. First, get it caught up on all maintenance (see link in my sig), then spend some time learning how to ride.

The tread pattern on the front tire is ancient, check the date codes on both tires and if they're more than 5-6 years old, get new ones before taking it out on the road.

Understand that airbox and exhaust mods greatly change how the engine breathes under all throttle positions and loads, even experts have a hard time getting the engine to run properly after such changes. It usually boils down to a lot of trial and error, so take that into consideration.

Welcome!
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
      "Canadian pesos" are you an AvE fan?

Bike looks to be in really good shape, I would strongly consider getting to know it first before going all crazy on the mods. First, get it caught up on all maintenance (see link in my sig), then spend some time learning how to ride.

The tread pattern on the front tire is ancient, check the date codes on both tires and if they're more than 5-6 years old, get new ones before taking it out on the road.

Understand that airbox and exhaust mods greatly change how the engine breathes under all throttle positions and loads, even experts have a hard time getting the engine to run properly after such changes. It usually boils down to a lot of trial and error, so take that into consideration.

Welcome!
      I'm definitely a fan of AvE

The bike itself is in really good shape from what I can tell. It was a barn find that was brought back to life by a local shop. It does need new tires(front is old and has cracks) but since it isn't currently on the road Id like to buy tires after replacing the rims. I am aware that swapping in pods and messing with the exhaust will mean some more lengthy trial and error which is why It's not on my short list. There are a couple other maintenance things that Id like to change that I didn't bother mentioning in the op. I know that the R/R and stator can have problems so the plan is to get a SH755 and have proper Single point grounding and a new good stator or atleast that's what I've gathered the best course of action is.

Thank you for the welcome and I will definitely continue going through the library of information this forum has to offer

Comment

I'd leave the wheels alone and focus on maintenance and maybe building a nice seat to flatten it out. At most try to find a rear wheel to lift the back up, the front is fine. Looks like you have a drum brake though so finding a bigger wheel may not be easy. At any rate, you have a nice bike there so enjoy!
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sweet bike, AvE rules!!

Comment

Wow. So many fans, and less than 400,000 of us subscribed.

I would think he might appeal to many here. For those who don't know, AvE is a YouTube channel hosted by someone who I think is a field service tech. He reviews tools by taking them apart to see how they're built. Narration is very colorful and entertaining.

Progressive brand springs have fallen out of favor around here. Straight rate springs from Sonic make for better handling and don't make the front end harsh. Damping is what makes the ride harsh, and cartridge emulators are required to truly fix that.
            Last edited by Dogma; 10-23-2016, 11:56 AM.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Welcome,

I remember my first bike...it is a special moment. Yeah, that rear end looks kinda low as was said; you want a nice shock absorbing seat for short/long riding. Enjoy the bike and your way around here.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Not understanding wanting to replacing the wheels. THey not the right wheels for the bike? Looks line nice condition bike there.

Being that it is an L, maybe might want to replace the bars if intending to ride any distance.

Speaking of it being your first bike....and you say it runs well, so I would think the first order of bussiness would be learning to ride.
                And then determine what type of bike suits your needs best... and if modifying this bike is worthwhile.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                X