Going to have to give up my '83 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to have to give up my '83 GS850G

I'm very sad to have to give up on her, but I never had the time or money to put the necessary work into getting her on the road. I'm going to have to give her up to someone who does.

I was hoping to ask if y'all think I should sell her in the condition she's in or part her out? Vetter fairing, front and sides, with working cassette radio. I do have the side panels missing in my photos (I think).

I know she needs at least the following:
    new tires, gas tank coated, new front fork springs, carbs cleaned

I never transferred the title to my name, but I have the original title signed over to me.
    She did run when I bought her, and last year when I cleaned the carbs up, briefly. The tank needs to be coated not because of rust, but because it leaks around the edges (I'm guessing a PO took it apart?).

I figured I would list it at $900 on Craigslist, but wasn't sure if I could list her on "Road-ready Bikes" here, since she isn't actually road ready.

Any thoughts, or help with what y'all think I should do would be appreciated. I have a LOT of respect for the users here, so that's why I'm asking...
    rightside.jpg

Safe rides,
    Bob

I'm in the process of parting out a car. It's quite the PITA. Especially when the clutter is in the way awaiting the day it sells.
    Personally I'd try to sell it complete first.
    Not sure on pricing, but $900 for a non running 850 is probably high. Others will surely chime in.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I only wish that I had a bike that would accept that seat.

It appears to be a Mayer Day-Long saddle, one of the most comfortable seats in the industry at the time.
      Some will call it butt-ugly, but MY butt doesn't care much about looks.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's how I'm wanting my 83 set up. Please let me know if you part it, or plan on heading west toward NM any time soon.

Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheKlown View Post
          I'm very sad to have to give up on her, but I never had the time or money to put the necessary work into getting her on the road. I'm going to have to give her up to someone who does.

I was hoping to ask if y'all think I should sell her in the condition she's in or part her out? Vetter fairing, front and sides, with working cassette radio. I do have the side panels missing in my photos (I think).

I know she needs at least the following:
          new tires, gas tank coated, new front fork springs, carbs cleaned

I never transferred the title to my name, but I have the original title signed over to me.
          She did run when I bought her, and last year when I cleaned the carbs up, briefly. The tank needs to be coated not because of rust, but because it leaks around the edges (I'm guessing a PO took it apart?).

I figured I would list it at $900 on Craigslist, but wasn't sure if I could list her on "Road-ready Bikes" here, since she isn't actually road ready.

Any thoughts, or help with what y'all think I should do would be appreciated. I have a LOT of respect for the users here, so that's why I'm asking...
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]48426[/ATTACH]

Safe rides,
          Bob
          Sounds like tank is probably too far gone, seams are leaking I am guessing. $900 would buy someone a running GS850G in most places, they just don't bring that much and I ride one myself so I am no hater.

You can part it but it's a PITA as Dorkburger eluded to and it could take months to do it in a profitable way. Or just do it 7 day "auction" style, start everything at a $1 and take a severe beating.

Throw $500 on it and let her go

Comment

...I know she needs at least the following: new tires, gas tank coated, new front fork springs, carbs cleaned ...
            ...Any thoughts, or help with what y'all think I should do would be appreciated. I have a LOT of respect for the users here, so that's why I'm asking...

Many for sale bikes need tires. A remote bottle can be used to get it running so no need for tank sealed, which is easy peasy anyway. Dunno how bad the "fork springs" are but doubt it's non-rideable due to fork springs...
            Down to clean out the carbs and Freakin' get 'er done, man ...

That said, there was a running 850G near me (N. VA) for , price dropped to like $600, same vetter too.
            I had just bought my GSX1100 and just couldn't...Finally I was going to get it out of greif for it...ad had been up sooo long they took it down.

These bikes really are an awesome bargain sometimes. Theres another ad I've been looking at ,for monthes a chain driven GS750 , but still have no space...
            Maybe spray a tiny squirt of starting fluid in 'er today and atleast see if she pops???
            Not much to lose...

Good luck. Sad story. Give her some love, she'll love ya back Geez! IDK making me sad/ hopeful this AM, gotta run work..LOL

Comment

Hey Bob, I sent you a Private Message regarding the bike. Lets talk!

Roger
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thank you to everyone for the replies. A lot to think about...
                I'll try to let y'all know what I decide to do...

Comment

I have the same year and color, which I have been contemplating putting on a Vetter and hard bags like this. It looks great dressed up! Heading to Maine at all this winter? hahah

Anywho, I think if you have the option to keep it, it is a bike that will bring you joy for a long time. Not saying I have a "long time" of experience, but I bought mine for $700 in August and rode her 4,000 before I put it away. Some of the best miles I've ever ridden!

Comment

Working...
                  X