New Owner GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner GS1100E

Hello everyone! I'm the new owner of a Maroon ? 1980 GS1100E. Its totally complete but needs all the basics redone. Its been sitting outside covered since 1991. Visually I see fork tubs are rusted and rear chrome grab rail. Tank looks good inside. Original owner says the crank is out of alignment or twisted or something along those lines. Supposedly he says was a common problem and that it still ran when he parked it. I'm trying to decide if I should have the engine rebuilt. I have enough skills to handle the rest of the component needs.
    Anyone have any info on who works on these engines? Oh and I got it for $500 bucks so it was worth it for me to pick it as I also picked up a Hodaka Combat Wombat with the deal, not running of course LOL! Anyway looking forward to doing something with this!! I'm in Roseville CA.......a

Thanks, Chris

Welcome to the site, Chris.
    The cranks on the '80-'82 1100 engine were fine for everyday street use but any race application or performance use the cranks could twist.
    For '83 Suzuki made changes and most of the troubles disappeared.
    Seeingas you are in Ca. i would contact Ray about engine work.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by rocker View Post
      Hello everyone! I'm the new owner of a Maroon ? 1980 GS1100E. Its totally complete but needs all the basics redone. Its been sitting outside covered since 1991. Visually I see fork tubs are rusted and rear chrome grab rail. Tank looks good inside. Original owner says the crank is out of alignment or twisted or something along those lines. Supposedly he says was a common problem and that it still ran when he parked it. I'm trying to decide if I should have the engine rebuilt. I have enough skills to handle the rest of the component needs.
      Anyone have any info on who works on these engines? Oh and I got it for $500 bucks so it was worth it for me to pick it as I also picked up a Hodaka Combat Wombat with the deal, not running of course LOL! Anyway looking forward to doing something with this!! I'm in Roseville CA.......a

Thanks, Chris
      Welcome.

I have a virtually identical bike, the '81. I know that there are many bikes out there that are much faster, but the 1100 has been a blast to ride and certainly fast enough for me anyway.

When I got the bike it had a rusted aftermarket exhaust so I replaced it with a V&H and went with the pod (bad person) filters. We are lucky as there is a jetting kit that gets us pretty close but be prepared to do some additional fiddling to get it right on.

Yeah, it probably would be the best answer to weld up the crank, but if it hasn't flown part by now maybe just ride it and do the upgrade when you do the 1066. I rode the dog poo out of mine all over SoCal, even as a commuter for a while and it was fine. I did have the upgraded clutch nut added when the clutch was done.

Up to you but those bars are almost as bad as 'L' bars.

My chain is old and the cogs are pretty beat so I'm going to have the small chain conversion done.

Getting the thing running with a few minor mods to the engine and suspension and the early 1100e bikes are remarkably fast and competent rides.

If you don't mind please do post your progress. Best of luck and again, welcome.

Comment

Thanks, Chris
        Chris, How much more are you willing to spend on a 40 year old bike?

If you do everything right with a builder or shop you could easily be approaching $2000 when you factor in the $500 you've already invested, and that's just for the motor.

Just the labor to strip it from the frame, tear it apart, and put it back in will be $1000. Then you'll have all the machining cost.

Then you're going to have to chase all the issues of sitting out side for 25 years.

RapidRay on this site is near LA and I'm sure he could build you a great stock or modified motor. You'll have to contact him or similar shops and builders to get an estimated cost.

Personally I would sell or part it for as much as you can get, and buy a post 2000 used bike for less than $2000.

40 year old bikes don't make financial sense for people that don't do their own work, unless they are really well off., hope that's your situation.

Sometimes what you don't want to hear is still the best advice. Sorry.

Comment

Well the money factor is always the choice we have to make when it comes to these old bikes. It is stock with only a supertrap pipe so I don't know why the original owner thinks the crank is bad. He said it was noisy. I don't know....really have to think about this. Maybe I will just rebuild the carbs get it running and see where I'm at then.
          As far as working on the bike I can do that no problem had bikes all my life. I would really like a big bore bike. These were really bad ass bikes and still are!!

Comment

Well the money factor is always the choice we have to make when it comes to these old bikes. It is stock with only a supertrap pipe so I don't know why the original owner thinks the crank is bad. He said it was noisy. I don't know....really have to think about this. Maybe I will just rebuild the carbs get it running and see where I'm at then.
            As far as working on the bike I can do that no problem had bikes all my life. I would really like a big bore bike. These were really bad ass bikes and still are!!

I too have worked on bikes and cars all my life but splitting cases and setting up the cams and pistons is a higher level of ability.

I wouldn't do anything till you verify the diagnosis.

You can check whether the crank is twisted without getting it running. You need to measure the piston's height in relation to each other through the spark plug holes with a depth gauge of some sort. .

I'm no expert and if you do a search you will find folks that have taken this measurement. I would think 1 and 4 would be at same height as each other, and 2 and 3 would be at same as each other. If they are not you're twisted.

There's a 73 Kaw Z1 for sale on the bay with the receipt for his motor work to install 1015 kit. It's spot on as far as my rough estimate.

I truly do feel your pain. The crank on my 82 twisted in 84 when Suzuki was still fixing them por nada.

As another cautionary tale I spent twice what you're looking at, having a top national builder put together a dream motor. Got it back after paying the bill and found the cases were cracked and leaking oil. I know you're thinking I won't have "That" problem but there are many more that go along with a total engine rebuild, just go to the projects section and read some of the trials and tribulations. The possibilities for bad things happening are near endless.

Now if you were to find a nice Bandit or FZ1 or similar that aren't using oil (easy to determine) for less than $2K (they are out there) you will decades ahead of the game.

Heck someone just posted an 83 1100ES in the for sale section for $1500. Your call, just trying to let you know there are options.

Comment

Working...
            X