Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proud new member and owner GS 750L 1981

Hi All,

Just thought i would say hi and introduce myself as i'm going to be bugging the lot of you for advice, recommendations and comments

I live in the UK and have just bought a GS750L 1981. Like a lot of members on here i'm going to convert to a cafe/brat bike depending on how it ends up

Ive also got a GSF (Bandit) 600, a VFR 400 (my first road bike), a Yam YZ250f and a Honda CR450f.

Ive been looking round this forum a lot since i bought the GS and found loads of great info already. I'm keen to get as much advice and help as i can so appreciate anything anyone can offer.

I might start a thread for my build, or just post as and when i find something interesting to share etc.

Anyway, thanks for having me (and my GS!)

GS750l 1981.jpg

Hi, smokerhill! Bike Looks to be in decent shape.

after lurking awhile, You will have seen this? recommend you burrow through it!
    BikeCliff's Website

Comment

Welcome to the GSR. You picked the perfect model to cafe, etc. Looks like Gorminrider hooked you up with Basscliff's site....
      One thing I would recommend is modifying the oil pressure relief valve as this particular motor had top end oiling issues.
      I did the mod on my 750 motor. Post #10 on my thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ra-Slick/page4

D

Comment

Hi - in what seems like a lifetime ago I grew up in Holmes Chapel and then my wandering lifestyle began ( It may never end)

The best thing to do to an L is ............... insert anything here :-)

Good start for a cafe/brat and not wasting an E !!!
        78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
        82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
        83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
        2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
        Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Top suggestions thanks guys!
          Yep already been looking through the resources on Bike Cliff's site and think its going to be a regular haunt over the next few weeks.

I did buy a Haynes manual title "Suzuki GS550 & 750 Fours. Below is a picture on the back of the book showing which bikes are included and i dont think mines there... do you know if its all pretty much the same, or if there are any watch outs that wont be?

Manual GS750L 1981.jpg

thanks in advance,

Comment

I do not think that book will work for you. Your motor is 16 valve TSCC and the book covers the 8 valve models if I am not mistaken.

Originally posted by smokerhill View Post
            Top suggestions thanks guys!
            Yep already been looking through the resources on Bike Cliff's site and think its going to be a regular haunt over the next few weeks.

I did buy a Haynes manual title "Suzuki GS550 & 750 Fours. Below is a picture on the back of the book showing which bikes are included and i dont think mines there... do you know if its all pretty much the same, or if there are any watch outs that wont be?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49560[/ATTACH]

thanks in advance,

Comment

Yep, that's a 16V on a 1981 "L" model. Is that your Maserati in the garage?

Looking forward to how your plans on the bike work out.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Arrggghh!!! this is the second one ive bought! Maybe i just stick to the service manuals on bikecliffes's site. Ive always tried to rummage around trying to find info and done things on the cheap and this time with this cafe racer i wanted to do everything perfect...starting with a proper manual! Oh well, it might make some good reading if i buy another GS

Maserati! i wish.. its my Jag XF... i do love it though!

Comment

Can i ask which service manual you guys would recommended out of the below for my bike (GS750L 1981):

GS750 (16-valve; LT, LX, EX) Service Manual (17MB)

or

GS1000C/E/S/L Service Manual (67MB)

And owners manual :

GS750T Owners Manual (2MB)

or

GS850G '82 Owners Manual (2.8MB)

thanks

Comment

Yes, the manual linked GS750 16valve for LT,LX,EX covers yours....the letters are a kind of Suzuki code that is roughly as follows..
                    L can mean Laid Back (high bars, super-stepped seat, longer forks,smaller rounded tank )
                    E
                    can mean "Euro"...lower bars, more forward rider larger gas tank?
                    ( A T would be "traditional"? but it's somewhere between the two above ...seat is less-stepped, handlebars for upright riding, tank decently sized...
                    (I'm making this up but you get the idea...)

The letter following the model letter is the year....T=1980,X=1981. go here to compare All Suzuki Motorcycles Ever Built There aren't many changes between 80-81 years ,and the big Suzuki changes in the 80s were electronic ignition versus kickstart, 16 valve versus 8 valve in some models and wheel rims transitioning to tubeless in 1982.....On the other hand,it's complicated trying to fit seat pans across an L,T,or E...so always be very careful getting parts.

Comment

top info thanks mate, helps alot. 👍

Comment

Working...
                      X