Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy with an Old Bike

Hello!
    I just picked up a 1983 GS1100es this afternoon and thought the smartest thing I could do would be to join a community of experts. I had a '77 GS750 several years ago, but this bike will be a fairly new experience for me. It needs some cosmetic and minor mechanical help, but seems to run strong and it shifts like it should. Should be a fun project.

One question to get the ball rolling. The lens on my gauge cluster is missing and the needles are broken off the tach and speedo. I checked ebay, and it looks like clocks for my bike are going to be hard to source. I did find an auction for gauges off a 1980 GS1100 (model not specified) and the description says it will fit my bike. It looks a little different, but it's the same basic shape and seems to have the same functions. Anyone know if this will cross over? If not, are there other models I should look at?

Once I dive in a little deeper, I'll start a build thread and post some progress photos. For now, here's how she looks on day one. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Welcome, nice bike. Looks velvety. I'm not sure about the 80-81 fitting as it was designed to fit with the rectangle head light. the 82 1100E is a direct fit, but will have the 80 mph speedo instead of the 140.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

What a beauty!!!!

Welcome!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the lens on the instrument cluster. Not sure how difficult that would be to replace. Do post moar pics!

Lovely, lovely bike.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

You can still get the replacement lens. See pic. IMG_0299.jpg
        Maybe someone that restores tachs can replace the needles.

(Hard to see but lens is listed as hood, meter #34150-49910).
        Last edited by glib; 07-29-2017, 05:36 PM.
        sigpic
        1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
        1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
        1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
        On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
        All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Welcome, and cool ride. If I recall, the ES of that year has a far different cluster, more Katana - esque, and more importantly, an electronic tach.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Unfortunately the instrument cluster for that model is a 1 year only piece and most likely impossible or at least very hard to find. However, the cluster off the 83 - 86 GS700/750 E/ES/EF models is near identical, share many common parts and probably readily available used off ebay. Someone here may even have a spare set, I do but it's been scavenged for parts already. I wouldn't be surprised if they were directly interchangeable. Only different I can see is the style of the gear indicator. The 750 version has a separate bulb and lens for each gear position while the 1100 has a single LED array for all gears. Nice bike by the way, I love the 1100ES.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Nice ES.
              I will let others, with ES expereince, answer your question about the intstrumnets.

I see you list MO in your location.
              Look in "meeting place", there is an upcomming rally in MO.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for all the input! Saved me from pulling the trigger on the 1980 gauges. I hadn't noticed that they had the 80 mph speedo. That would have been disappointing. With the guidance from the group, it sounds like I'll be able to make something work.

I guess the velvety seat really shows. It's in pretty good shape, so my initial thought was to dye it black. May need to find a new cover for it after all.

Since I'm limited to one picture per post, here's the other side:
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Welcome to GSR.

I see you list MO in your location.
                  Look in "meeting place", there is an upcomming rally in MO.

Thanks for the heads up Redman. Unfortunately, Farmington is across the state from me, and my bike's a couple of months from ready. Maybe next year...

Comment

Originally posted by twerth View Post
                    Unfortunately, Farmington is across the state from me, ...
                    Farmington is only 250 miles from you, which would make you one of the "locals".

Many of us have come from a bit farther away, including Chicago, Omaha and Dayton.

What else does your bike need besides instruments?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Farmington is only 250 miles from you, which would make you one of the "locals".

Many of us have come from a bit farther away, including Chicago, Omaha and Dayton.

What else does your bike need besides instruments?

Tires, battery, handle bars and some wiring gremlins. That's what I've identified so far, but I'm also concerned that people will make fun of my velvety seat.

Comment

Tires, battery, handle bars and some wiring gremlins. That's what I've identified so far, but I'm also concerned that people will make fun of my velvety seat.
                        I will personally make sure you don't have the most ridiculous bike there. Anyhow, this isn't the sort of crowd that values you for your bike.

Is the seat waterproof?
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

It's an 83 1100es in nice shape. You're winning already. Seat is a minor detail. Get it running, safe, and reliable, then worry about the seat. A standard 83 and likely 82 1100e seat will fit, or you can look into a repop seat cover if your pan and foam is good.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Just wear a matching velvety jacket and the fellas will leave you alone.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the input, fellas. I've started pulling it apart and will start a build thread elsewhere. Biggest issue will still be sourcing a gauge cluster. Looks like I need something with a mechanical 140+mph speedo, electronic tach and small enough to fit in the fairing. So far, I'm not having a lot of luck. May need to go aftermarket.

Comment

Working...
                              X