Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's official!

Just got my first GS.

Found out the guy that was selling the one I was looking at didn't own it. He sold it 4 years ago. After that, I decided it's best to avoid him entirely.

After several hours of searching, and a 3 hour drive there (4 hours back, rear wheel was on tailgate, so I was cautious), I found a GS550E that had been converted to a cruiser. She fits like a glove, and I just barely bumped the starter button and she fired right up for me. I need to clean the carbs, and find out why she is leaking fuel like a sieve, but I should be able to figure it out. I also need to fix the exhaust, change the oil, and find a left mirror.

All in all, I think I did very good at picking my first GS.
    Attached Files

I am going to need to replace the petcock, it's missing the dial. But she doesn't leak when the engine is off.

Comment

Sure looks like a 550L not an E. Nonetheless, congrats on your new(to you) GS

Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thank you. And thanks for fixing the pic, I have not figured that, or photo bucket out yet.

I'm absolutely stoked. Even at 6'1", 235+ pounds, I'm more comfortable on this one than I was on the 850g I looked at. This seat is just a touch narrower, and a little lower. I can sit with my feet on the ground rather than feeling like I'm standing over something. And the pegs are still comfortable for me. I just wish the PO hadn't hacked the exhaust.

Comment

Yeah, too bad about the exhaust.

For the pic thing, if you attach your pic and post it just like you did then go back and click on the itty bitty pic to enlarge it. Right click to copy the big pic, then go back into your post to edit it and paste the big pic there.

Don't bother with photobucket! Maybe flickr, google drive or something else.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I can't do it from my phone. I'll have to remember that and post pics from the comp.

Comment

Originally posted by Trilug View Post
              Just got my first GS. ... I found a GS550E that had been converted to a cruiser. ...
              I am going to need to replace the petcock, it's missing the dial.
              As already pointed out, you do not have a 550E that has been converted, you have a 550L. No apologies necessary, no embarassment needed, if it fits you, it's the right bike.

Your petcock is not "missing the dial". Unfortunately, you have the "dreaded '80 petcock", which has no 'dial'. You need a screwdriver to change from RUN to PRIme positions. I believe RUN is with the slot horizontal, PRIme is vertical. Most other petcocks will flow gas freely when turned to PRIme, but yours is a little different. When you turn it to PRIme, you then need to apply a 'puff' of vacuum to start the flow, after which it will flow freely until the selector is turned to RUN or you run out of gas. That 'puff' of vacuum can be generated by simply bumping the starter button long enough for at least two revolutions of the crank.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Couple questions then.
                As long as I don't run it out of fuel, I shouldn't have to touch the petcock?
                Would I be correct in guessing that this doesn't have a reserve?
                If I disconnect the carb while in the run position, will the gas drain?
                Can I put a different petcock on without fabricating?

Comment

No reserve with that petcock, should not flow gas unless the engine is turning over. The only gas that should drain when petcock is on on is what is in the line.

v
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Couple questions then.
                    I will just post answers after your questions.

As long as I don't run it out of fuel, I shouldn't have to touch the petcock?
                    In normal riding, correct. Probably the most-likely time would be if you had drained the carbs to work on them and needed to refill them by using PRIme.

Would I be correct in guessing that this doesn't have a reserve?
                    You would be correct. Since you will need to rely on your gauge, I would suggest calibrating the gauge so you KNOW how much is left in the tank. If you have a red section on the gauge, I would suggest draining the tank, add exactly one gallon, then look to see where the needle sits. It would be nice if it is at the transition from white to red. If it's not pointing there, you can adjust that. If you don't have a red section, note where the needle sits with just one gallon in the tank and treat that as your REServe range.

If I disconnect the carb while in the run position, will the gas drain?
                    As gustovh mentioned, only the little bit of gas that is in the hose will dribble out.

Can I put a different petcock on without fabricating?
                    Likely not. One reason there is no lever is because the petcock is VERY close to the carb or airbox below it. Anything with a lever will simply not have enough room. To complicate matters, the spacing on the mounting bolts is different, making it harder to find a replacement.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X