1982 gs650gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs650gl

Been helping a friend wrench and restore Harleys and haven't been on a bike since a teen...my friend was apparently listening to my comments and found me an 82 650Gl which I've been riding and restoring for the past year.

I'll be paying college tuition(s) for the next decade so $600 for my 650 with new tires and a replacement handlebar sounded like a deal with almost 15000 miles.

Had to join if only to express my appreciation for the site.

Thanks.

GS650GL.jpg

Nice looking bike. At 600.00 you did well.
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
      Nice looking bike. At 600.00 you did well.
      On the contrary, at $600,00 you STOLE that thing.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey, nice looking bike for the money! I just picked up an identical bike back in april, for $450. Definitely looked a bit rougher than that, and needed a new tire and battery right off the bat.
        Fun bike though, and I've learned a lot wrenching on mine so far. Good luck with the new ride, hopefully it doesn't take too much work!

Comment

Nice bike. I found my way to GSResources Forum when I got my first motorcycle, an 82 GS 550L, in 2008. I lived in the Philly burbs then and rode it year-round. I got an 82 1100GL after a year or so, and later an 85 700EF before settling on my 83 650GL. My only complaint about the 650GL is the tiny gas tank. I get about a hundred miles. But I love my 650GL!!

Welcome!
          "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Thanks.

All credit to my friend who sussed it out...

Comment

So far it's been fine mechanically, I can see fixing / replacing the seat and the other cosmetic issues driving that number up.

Comment

Thanks. It's been fun so far.

The gentleman I got it from had spare tires and I had to replace the battery, find a clip for the air box, redo the fork seals...the tank is dimpled. The list goes on, but so far nothing too crazy.

Comment

Thanks!

I'm really interested in an 1100GL, curious about the difference in the ride.

Would LOVE the black / grey colors...having a hard time finding out if the 650 came in black / grey.

My friend found a pair of black / grey sides with the 650 badges but I suspect they are 1100s with the badges swapped.

In any event, I'm psyched with the look of the 650 GL. After digging through the various models and their differences I think its the best style - wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Whim Pickens View Post
                    Thanks!

Would LOVE the black / grey colors...having a hard time finding out if the 650 came in black / grey.

My friend found a pair of black / grey sides with the 650 badges but I suspect they are 1100s with the badges swapped.

In any event, I'm psyched with the look of the 650 GL. After digging through the various models and their differences I think its the best style - wise.
                    I don't know if the 650 ever came in black and gray, but I can guarantee that the 1100 side covers will NOT fit on a 650.
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                      I don't know if the 650 ever came in black and gray, but I can guarantee that the 1100 side covers will NOT fit on a 650.
                      Thanks, it's been a bear trying to find anything definitive on the subject...

...I can cross off THAT possibility.

Comment

Kerrfunk compares the 650GL and 1100GL

1. My history: I learned how to ride on a 550L, in 2008. I loved it, and after about a year I was hungry for more power. ddaniels was selling his 1100GL, so I bought it.

Three major differences: the 1100 is much more massive than the 550. The 1100 is much more powerful than the 550. And the 550 is a chain, and the 1100G is a shaft.

I liked the 1100GL, but as time went on I missed the nimbleness of the 550. A good part of that was the increase in weight. And nothing can stop an 1100 shaftie. After a while I just decided the 1100 was more power than I cared for, and I found a 650GL (I'll skip over the 85 700EF part of my history... sport bike, and I discovered I preferred the cruiser).

By now I knew I liked the L style, and I knew I liked the shaft (G) (although someone else will have to explain how the chain and shaft drives feel different). Power-wise, I know the 850 is very popular, but I looked up the specs and saw that the 850 and the 1100 are very similar in weight. The 650 is much closer to the 550.

Knowing what I know now, I would like to actually TRY somebody's 850GL or 850G.
                        I know Suzuki made a 750GL, and I think that might be the best one for my checklist of power and drive and weight, but as far as I know the 750GL is a pretty rare bird. And so a 650GL is what I ride.

I rented a 200* Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom a few weeks ago, so I got to compare a few other characteristics. The biggest thing I noticed, I think, was the fuel injection. You look at the throttle funny and the fuel injector knows it and it feeds the carbs and you jump forward. I also think I missed my shaftie.

I love the L. I like the stepped seat, the chrome (not too much, not too little), and the position of the infamous buckhorn handlebars.
                        My only complaint about the 650GL is its tiny gas tank. I get about a hundred miles.

Did I cover your questions?
                        "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
                          1. My history: I learned how to ride on a 550L, in 2008. I loved it, and after about a year I was hungry for more power. ddaniels was selling his 1100GL, so I bought it.

Three major differences: the 1100 is much more massive than the 550. The 1100 is much more powerful than the 550. And the 550 is a chain, and the 1100G is a shaft.

I liked the 1100GL, but as time went on I missed the nimbleness of the 550. A good part of that was the increase in weight. And nothing can stop an 1100 shaftie. After a while I just decided the 1100 was more power than I cared for, and I found a 650GL (I'll skip over the 85 700EF part of my history... sport bike, and I discovered I preferred the cruiser).

By now I knew I liked the L style, and I knew I liked the shaft (G) (although someone else will have to explain how the chain and shaft drives feel different). Power-wise, I know the 850 is very popular, but I looked up the specs and saw that the 850 and the 1100 are very similar in weight. The 650 is much closer to the 550.

Knowing what I know now, I would like to actually TRY somebody's 850GL or 850G.
                          I know Suzuki made a 750GL, and I think that might be the best one for my checklist of power and drive and weight, but as far as I know the 750GL is a pretty rare bird. And so a 650GL is what I ride.

I rented a 200* Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom a few weeks ago, so I got to compare a few other characteristics. The biggest thing I noticed, I think, was the fuel injection. You look at the throttle funny and the fuel injector knows it and it feeds the carbs and you jump forward. I also think I missed my shaftie.

I love the L. I like the stepped seat, the chrome (not too much, not too little), and the position of the infamous buckhorn handlebars.
                          My only complaint about the 650GL is its tiny gas tank. I get about a hundred miles.

Did I cover your questions?
                          So far so good, thanks.

Interested to read about the weight difference of the 1100...

...also your preference (?) for the stock handlebars. Feels like a wheelbarrow to me!

Comment

Some pictures...

Had access to a polishing wheel so I took a few pieces off...

What a difference.
                            Attached Files

Comment

IMG_20170826_084015_654.jpg

Progress...

Comment

Working...
                              X