New GS Owner in San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS Owner in San Diego

Proud to be a new junior member of the family! Started with a love for old Honda CBs, saw the GS1100ES and fell in love, and then the mischievous muse that is the GS1150E enraptured me.

The bike was in Sacramento and I tried to ride it to San Diego. The bike was very under powered and there is a bit of oil coming out the top end. I finally decided not to risk the rest of the journey and uHauled her down the rest of the way. Rather, the choice was made for me when the bike wouldn't start at a gas station; it wouldn't even attempt to turn over. Lights are bright but she decided she'd had enough of my antics.

Before the uHaul; looked down while riding down Highway 99 and saw the key rattle out of the ignition while going 60mph. I stalled the bike so it wouldn't overheat and spent the next 15 minutes searching for the key with cars flying buy. Right before giving up, I spotted it out of the corner of my eye right in the middle of the highway. I proceeded to stop all traffic (I think the closet car thought I was trying to hold them up!) and ran out and got the key. Had several offers for help, which was nice

After the uHaul: The bike leaned hard in the uHaul and put a little dent in the tank and broke the clutch handle. Nothing too bad. That gas tank ding, though

Currently reviewing and re-reviewing "Top 10 Newbie Mistakes," BikeCLiff's website, "Help! Your bike won't start," "The GS Deadly Sins," and "Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well."

Here she is; she has no name yet:
    IMG_20170813_123732.jpg

More with her older (younger) sibling, a 2005 KLR650:
    1985 GS1150E (California)

Welcome from a fellow 1150 owner.
    I think that bike was a recent topic of conversation here.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

It was. I was part of the thread in the "For Sale" section but the whole thread was deleted for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulkaccino View Post
        It was. I was part of the thread in the "For Sale" section but the whole thread was deleted for some reason.
        This section gets cleaned up automatically.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Sounds like your bike will require some love. Lack of power is not an 1150's forte.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Glad you lived through the key incident. I think I'll get a key tether now. My 700 key can pull out in the "on" position. Don't like that. I feel ya on the tank dent. Looking forward to hearing your progress. Congrats.
            sigpic
            1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
            1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
            1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
            On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
            All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Mulk, Welcome to GSR.

Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome! That bike is gorgeous!
                Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I don't see too many GS's around here. I will keep an eye out.
                  NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                  Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Mulk,

So, you a long time San Diegoian...? Long time San Diegoian mo'cyklist?
                    So you know all the great roads there abouts?
                    (And then dont need to have a flatlander Michigander tell you about them.)

Tell us more of your adventures with the 1150.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks All! I haven't had much time to work on her since I've had to aquire tools and since I'm going back to school, but I'm slowly getting everything I need to wrench on her.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Mulk,
                      So, you a long time San Diegoian...? Long time San Diegoian mo'cyklist?
                      So you know all the great roads there abouts?
                      (And then dont need to have a flatlander Michigander tell you about them.)

Tell us more of your adventures with the 1150
                      Lots of fun roads north and east of this fair city. I've spent plenty of time on the KLR hitting many of the roads out to Anza Borrego, all the way up to Joshua Tree and the Mohave Desert, out to Arizona and down the Sea of Cortez in Baja. I'm sure the GS is going to see it's fair share of trips. I'd love to hear about some roads you've ridden; my riding history doesn't mean I don't have gaps in great places to go

Comment

Lots of fun roads north and east of this fair city. I've spent plenty of time on the KLR hitting many of the roads out to Anza Borrego, all the way up to Joshua Tree and the Mohave Desert, out to Arizona and down the Sea of Cortez in Baja. I'm sure the GS is going to see it's fair share of trips. I'd love to hear about some roads you've ridden; my riding history doesn't mean I don't have gaps in great places to go .
                        Ah, sounds like you have gone further and wider than I have gone in my three one-week stays there.
                        So, I suppose you are familiar with the locations within about 50-60 miles such as Palomar Mountain, Sunrise Highway, Japutul Valley, Wildcat Canyon Rd, Old Julian Highway, 94 to Dulzera-Barrett Junction- Campo, Black Canyon Rd, Del Dios Hwy..... (I found all these on a map on San Diego BMW Owners Club web site.)

Comment

Black Canyon is new to me! I've been on Pamo Valley a mile west and Sutherland a mile east... looks like another excuse to get up there.

Comment

Black Canyon is new to me! I've been on Pamo Valley a mile west and Sutherland a mile east... looks like another excuse to get up there.
                            Oh, my finger on the map, and more poor memory both slipped... I was looking at Mesa Grande Rd (not Black Canyon) (and I dont see the two you mentioned).
                            On the SAnDiego BMW Owners Club map, Measa Grande Rd is listed as "Tight, Twisty, and Treacherous".

Comment

Only about three sections of it are like that. Nice road with zero traffic.
                              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                              X