First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Post

Hi Guys, I've done a deal on a 1980 GS1000G which, all being good is having an MOT put on it right now ready for me to collect on the weekend. Can't wait, I'm very excited.

So here's an intro: I had bikes when I was younger 16-20 only little stuff:

Yamaha DT50MX
    Suzuki GP100 (wrote that one off)
    Yamaha RS100

I never took my test back then. but then after college I got a job 70 miles away so sold up everything I had and took out a loan for a sensible diesel car.
    Always promised myself if I ever lived and worked in the same city I'd go back to bikes.

So 8 years later landed a job in London, rented a flat and got myself a little 100cc scooter, which was perfect for the task. Also within very short time, met someone, got married had a kid. Ran out of money, so from then on we were a 1 car family and bike were my main transport.
    Had the scooter for a year, gained experience and took my test and worked my way through:

Yamaha Thundercat 600
    Yamaha FZR1000 Genesis
    Kawasaki ZZR600
    Kawasaki ZX-7r
    Kawasaki ZX-9r

Finally got in a position to have a 2nd car, but circumstance changed and I sold the 9r, with the intention of replacing it in a few months.
    3 years later I'm now able to replace it. But didn't fancy going (or didn't think I should go) back to super fast sports bikes.

I fancied a more 'traditional' motorbike and hence how I came to find this.

I'll post some pics once I've got it.

I should add I'm in the UK, if you hadn't worked that out from the London reference and the fact it's having an MOT.

This bike is a US spec bike, imported in 1996

Comment

Originally posted by eddypeck View Post
      I should add I'm in the UK, if you hadn't worked that out from the London reference and the fact it's having an MOT.

This bike is a US spec bike, imported in 1996

Yeah, and "renting a flat" gave you away as well. They're free here, the cost incurred is fixing said flat!

Oh, what's an MOT?

New bike excitement is filling me as well. Just picked up an adventure bike, Vstrom DL1000. Sure can't wait to put some miles on it. No inspections required, I am assuming that is an MOT as you say, just paperwork and pay money at the Motor Vehicle Division. Actually left the bike at home for that and came home with a title and license plate.

Welcome to the GSR, Eddy!
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Welcome Eddy. Good luck with the new GS. Just remember that danger from others is the same regardless of the bike and even an old GS 1000 is no slouch.
        Enjoy.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

MOT is the Ministry Of Transport test, every vehicle over 3 years old has to have one to make sure it's safe and roadworthy. Ironically when a vechile gets to 60 years old it becomes exempt - theory being these historic vechicles are prized collectors items during minimal mileage and being lovingly cared for.

as for the GS being no slouch, I'm counting on it.

Comment

Nice intro, Eddy.
            Welcome aboard.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome to the site.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Welcome!

I always enjoy European intros...you write like you speak and I'm reading it with an accent. It helps that I married a Scott who's family moved to Haverhill, Suffolk near RAF Wethersfield in Essex...my first overseas duty station.

Yes, please post pics and include the beautiful backdrop of Bristol and the surround areas. Enjoy your GS!

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                X