Picked this up Saturday GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked this up Saturday GS1000G

Following on from my intro last week, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...992-First-Post I went ahead with the purchase and an now the proud owner of this....

Originally destined for the US, it was imported into the UK in 1996.

I've been watching this bike for a while, and I suspect it's these add ons that were the reason it was unsold and why I managed to get it for what I consider to be quite a reasonable price.

Luckily it came with the standard headlight and indicators and all the fixings. So within a couple of hours of getting her home (even though I'd been to the chiropractor that morning, was aching like hell and had just ridden the behemoth home for an hour, so should have been resting...) she looked like this.

A little later like this, then I realised I didn't have the plug or the loom for the headlight bulb.

Here's where my parts store came into play. Buried at the bottom of shed stash I have a box containing the full wiring loom from a Mk2 Golf GTI I'd broken for parts previously. Although slightly reluctant as it was a complete loom I decided I could sacrifice a H4 connector and a few inches of wire.

So back in the lounge in front of a bad Dwayne Johnson film (San Andreas) I made up a little loom that would plug into the exisisting wire so I didn't have to cut any of the original plugs off. Leaving the film playing to an empty room - Ok, 2 sleeping dogs - I popped back out the garage and by 1:00 this:

Managed to get a few more mile on it Monday, and stopped for some pics in the sunlight:

Then got home and gave it a wash and polish:

The black paint has actually got a green metallic in it which is pretty cool when the sun hits it, not sure if that's original or if it's been painted in the past:

And have rode it into work today :thumbs:

So.... any interest in this?

I suspect not, lol

Sweet, nice clean bike.

Originally posted by eddypeck View Post
    I suspect not, lol
    Probably not. Though they sure are nice when travelling distances in cold wet weather, those fairings and bags are just too much.

Comment

Sweet, nice clean bike.
      Gee, I'll say!

as to Vetter stuff- well! Don't be so fast to denigrate it. Some of us like that stuff....and that is a nice kit. The tricky bit is in the mounts for the fairing which won't fit every bike. So best value comes from selling it to someone they'll fit for....GS 850, likely 650? maybe others.
      Piecemeal too, for someone that has broken ones or can haywire em on...rear saddlebags and its mount are pretty easy to suit many old-type bike frames....

Comment

Thanks guys.

As for the Vetter stuff, there are guides for making brackets on http://craigvetter.com/pages/Vetter_...de-mounts.html

I'm hoping someone wants them as I'm willing and eager to sell them. Shipping may be an issue as the whole lot weights in at 20kg and is quite a bulk. I guess Pallet shipping would be the safest way.

What I have noticed on eBay is there's a need to parts, say someone has the kit but has damaged an blinker lens, lost a storage cover or cracked the windscreen.
        So I might do better off breaking them down into parts, which would seem a shame but it's more likely to be useful and sending internationally would be a lot easier.

They've got the speakers in too...

I gather the grills are sought after?

We'll see, I think I'll list it all on eBay worldwide and see what interest I get.

Comment

Nice work getting her cleaned up, Eddy.

That vetter kit and bags are nice for someone who appreciates them.

I like how you mention a sunny part of the day; I lived in Braintree (Essex), Bury St Edmunds and Newmarket (Suffolk) from 1989-1993 so I know about the weather.

I must say, it does look great without all the accoutrements. Good luck with shipping and welcome to the site!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Wow....amazing the difference between the before an after shots. No shade to the Vedder fans, but you turned that into a sweet ride. Put some Daytona Bars on it, and you got a hot ride boooooooeeeyyy!!!!!!
            Last edited by Pb9717; 09-19-2017, 09:51 PM.
            PB
            Central Jersey
            82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Nice find on your part. The 1000G model is what I was looking for 9 years ago but could not find one quick enough so I settled for the "E" model and I just can't get too much saddle time. I get more smiles per mile with the chain drive than I ever imagined. Makes me kind of glad I couldn't find the G model. Beautiful bike that you have anyway and welcome to the forum.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Looks to be in good condition.

Good that PO had the signals and such for you to get it back in stock configuration.

THe jammer fairing is fairly generic for use on many bikes, but the mounting bracket/frame is specific to smaller range of bikes, say GS850 and GS1000 for example. So, when selling it, you need to say what bike the bracket/frame came from. And somewhat the same for the wiring harness.. do have the wiring harness available with the fairing, don't leave it on the bike.
                The fairing will be worth more to someone with the same bike that the frame will fit. And the faring not worth much without the harness.

Maybe consider holding on to the fairing.
                With the fairing you can ride in colder/damper weather .... and can ride longer and, maybe, have chiropractor visits further apart.

No, not stock paint. Stock paint not have the metal flakes, Stock paint will have double color stripes on tank and fender and side panels and tail piece.

Thanks again for posting pics.

.>> later note
                Hum.... fender is chrome.
                US model you say.
                Maybe fender is from an L.
                Minor point.

Last edited by Redman; 09-19-2017, 04:37 PM. Reason: add later note.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

1000G is my favourite model so far I think...

The Euro Bend Bars are perfect on it. The twinpot brake mod really helps especially if two up.

Mine was helped by a Dyna Ignition (the stock box went bad) and running the coils through a relay.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Sweet ride!

Comment

You've done well there, Eddy. Nice looking bike.

Try the UK GS facebook group to sell the Vetter kit.
                      The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        1000G is my favourite model so far I think...

The Euro Bend Bars are perfect on it. The twinpot brake mod really helps especially if two up.

Mine was helped by a Dyna Ignition (the stock box went bad) and running the coils through a relay.

Thanks, just looked through your link to the twinpot mod, I was wondering if there was any direct swap calipers but looks like it's slightly more involved than that. Unfortunately with Photobucket's recent step it's killed off a lot of the images. :-(

My previous bikes include ZZR600, which had the 4 pot Tokico caliper which I gather can be used so I'm familiar with those, after that I had zx7r and zx9r which both use the 6 pots, although the 7r had bandit 4 pot nissins fitted as an upgrade, I gather those can't be used.

I did look up to see if Harrison Billet do a direct fit, it's not listed on their Suzuki page but if you go through to the spec sheets, yes they do a 6 pot for GS1000. Not going to be cheap though and that will be on the original rotors. I'll do some more reading of you mod and looking up of donor parts, more stopping power would be nice.

For now though, new bars are priority but I'm having real trouble finding some suitable. It's a wide bike and a lot of the bars available seems to be a lot narrower or the stupid sellers don't even list dimensions. I'm thinking about totally flat drag bars, but maybe a small lift would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
                          You've done well there, Eddy. Nice looking bike.

Try the UK GS facebook group to sell the Vetter kit.

Thanks, good shout. Request sent, awaiting admin approval.

Comment

That stripping song came to mind while reading this. I can't remember the name (if there is one), but I think they used it on a shaving cream commercial.

These bikes look way better naked, in my opinion.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                            Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by eddypeck View Post
                              Thanks, just looked through your link to the twinpot mod, I was wondering if there was any direct swap calipers but looks like it's slightly more involved than that. Unfortunately with Photobucket's recent step it's killed off a lot of the images. :-(

My previous bikes include ZZR600, which had the 4 pot Tokico caliper which I gather can be used so I'm familiar with those, after that I had zx7r and zx9r which both use the 6 pots, although the 7r had bandit 4 pot nissins fitted as an upgrade, I gather those can't be used.

I did look up to see if Harrison Billet do a direct fit, it's not listed on their Suzuki page but if you go through to the spec sheets, yes they do a 6 pot for GS1000. Not going to be cheap though and that will be on the original rotors. I'll do some more reading of you mod and looking up of donor parts, more stopping power would be nice.

For now though, new bars are priority but I'm having real trouble finding some suitable. It's a wide bike and a lot of the bars available seems to be a lot narrower or the stupid sellers don't even list dimensions. I'm thinking about totally flat drag bars, but maybe a small lift would be better.
                              Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Eu.../dp/B000GZNTQ6

Jeff probably has them too: https://www.z1enterprises.com/ He's an ex-pat & will likely ship international (plus a member here too).

The 4 pots are too wide. You need to use the two pot sliding pin style. With the brackets they are pretty much a straight bolt-on with the CBR disk (or the single brake GS550 disk).
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X