New member but non-GS owner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member but non-GS owner...

I'm looking for one... I currently daily ride a 2005 V-strom 1000 and I'm looking for an older bike to tinker on. My commute is about 55 miles round trip, and I try an do at least one long trip a year, so the Vee with the hard cases is great for that, but it's also a big ole bike to hop on and just to get coffee or ride the back roads. I've had other naked/standard bikes in the past including a Honda CB550, Honda 919, and a Ducati Monster. I was originally looking for another CB when a local CL ad had a 1980 GS1000 for sale. I really liked the looks of the GS with that squarish tank and 4 pipes out the front, but in typical CL fashion, the owner was waiting on the title. And now the search continues.

I'm also on the ADVrider forum and Grassrootsmotorsports forum and members of both said I should check this forum out, so here I am.

I'm in Knoxville, looking for a GS (non L model) got a little money to spend, and I'm not afraid of a little project or traveling to get one.

welcome to the forum and good luck with finding a decent GS that won't break the bank trying to get it road ready. And when you do find one, pics are a must..
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Welcome. It is the time of year for good deals. Good luck.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

This forum is a good reasong to get a Suzuki (if you are going to get any 80s bike).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          This forum is a good reasong to get a Suzuki (if you are going to get any 80s bike).

You said it, Brother!
          Between the archives, Tech documents and current helpful members this is a great site.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome, Octavious.

You'll fall in love with how smooth the GS's are. Quiet running, smooth shifting, and just sexy old bikes.

Good luck in your search!

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Yes!!

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            You said it, Brother!
            Between the archives, Tech documents and current helpful members this is a great site.
            I've also found this forum's structure much easier to navigate through than some others, better organized maybe. Just a great place, with great folks, as mentioned!
            Last edited by Burque73; 10-01-2017, 09:24 AM.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Welcome fellow Knoxvillian! We live up on the north side of town, in the Shannondale area.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thanks guys.

@Baatfam, I'm over on the west side of Farragut, right on the Loudon County line. Still have the TT600? I always wanted one of those too.

Comment

Welcome aboard. Plenty of non-GS owners here. GS1000 one of the best. It's been reported that the GS850G is maybe the smoothest of them all.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                  X