New to forum, new GS1000E, but not new to motorcycling or GS bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to forum, new GS1000E, but not new to motorcycling or GS bikes

Hi all. Norm from Lafayette, Indiana here.

I used to ride a lot in my youth, bought a slightly used 1982 GS650E in 1984 as a graduation gift to myself. Rode that bike all through my 8 years in the US Navy (1984-1992). Once out of the Navy, I traded it in on a new 1990 ZX750 Ninja that was still sitting on the showroom floor. I rode that for five or so years before selling it and retiring from riding. Been retired from riding for about twenty years or so. My kids are now out of the house, so thought it was high time to get back into motorcycling before age prevents me from doing so.

I recently picked up a mostly complete 1978 GS1000E. Yes, it is the black one with the white stripe that people here really seem to value. It had been sitting for about 25 years, being last registered in 1991. It had a Vetter fairing and bags on it, which I pulled off and sold on Craigslist. The guy I sold the Vetter things to told me about this website. He is a member here but doesn't post. I've been checking GS Resources out for a while and decided to join. Lots of good info here and I'm sure it will help me with this restoration. I've read Basscliff's welcome and the Newbie Mistakes posts, so am aware of how much work is entailed in making such an old bike road ready again.

I'm lucky in that the bike was stored in a heated basement, not a shed, so rust is minimal. Luckily, the gas tank and exhaust pipes look to be solid. It seems that these items are very difficult to find, and very expensive if you do find them in decent shape. The bike only has 17,600 miles on it. As far as I can tell, all that it needs parts wise to be complete is the headlight and the front and rear turn signals. I'll probably upgrade the ignition from points to a Dyna S, and maybe do a 630 to 530 drive chain conversion. Stainless brake lines and suspension components will be upgraded, and it goes without saying new tires are in the works.

Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure I'll need over the winter. The goal is to have a dependable, but not necessarily perfect looking rider next spring.

Regards,

Norm
    Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2017, 02:39 PM.

Welcome to the forum, glad you stopped in.

David
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Welcome. Sound like you have a good starting point to work from.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hello Norm from Lafayette Indiana, I'm Norm from Youngstown, Ohio. Welcome to GSR. By the way, GSR has a nice Rally in Bedford Indiana in June. It would be great if you could make it. Two Norms at the same rally... scary ☺
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Welcome. Sounds like you have a good starting point to work from.
          Last edited by dorkburger; 10-08-2017, 01:47 PM.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes.

Two Norms at the rally, maybe both on GS1000E's? That would be pretty cool.

I'll do my best to get this bike back on the road by June.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Lafayette Norm. I am a native hoosier having grown up in Warren County just about 30-35 miles southwest of Lafayette. If you can make it to Bedford in June I will look you up. I also have a 1000E.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Now I know where to start

A member who lives not far away came up yesterday to take a look at what I have and help get me started. Griffin is really knowledgeable on these bikes and helped me a lot. He loves to talk about old bikes too and has me itching to get this one done so I can start another project.

We got the carbs off and dismantled, and went to Autozone for some carb dip. We also removed the exhaust, chain and sprockets, and petcock from the tank. He inspected the tank and said that even though there is some surface rust inside, it seemed pretty solid. It sounds like these rust out a lot and they are hard to replace. The brake calipers are now taken apart and cleaned. I'm going to replace most of the bolts with stainless allen heads, the Ace Hardware up here has a pretty good selection.

He brought up some shims and we pulled the valve cover to inspect the valves. All but one were in spec, and he had the right size shim so we just swapped it out. The gasket was hard as a rock, and someone had used a sealer on it that is even harder. The hardest part of this will be getting the old sealer off to make a good mating surface for the new gasket.

Now I have to wait for a bunch of parts to come in. I ordered the OEM gaskets, brake parts, control cables, and other stuff from Partzilla and aftermarket things like tires and chain from Dennis Kirk and Z1. I bought some Michelin Pilot Activ tires and we are converting from 630 to 530 chain and sprockets. Picked up a new petcock off ebay too. Once we have it running and the basic things replaced, I'll figure out what I want to do with the suspension.

We got a lot of stuff done. Luckily there is very little rust on this, so most of the bolts came out pretty easy after a quick spray of PB Blaster.

I can't wait for all the parts to arrive and put her back together. I really want to hear this thing run!

Regards,

Norm

Comment

Cool that Griffin helped you out. He used to be very active here. Glad to hear he's still around and playing with old bikes.
                  sigpic

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Welcome to the site, Norm.
                    3 posts and still no pics?

Good on ya, Griffin.
                    The skills and generosity of the site members is top shelf.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome to the asylum... I'm not too far north of you in North Judson. Griffin is a great guy, knows his way around these old girls. Just put the word out if you need anything. I have friends in Laffy, next time I make a run down there I'll try to give you a shout.

Actually, I was riding home from Laffy when my bike locked up a couple months ago...
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Welcome to GSR, Norm. I'm in Indiana, Fort Wayne. My son is a senior at Purdue. We get down there every so often. I just picked up a 1978 "skunk" , also. Working on getting it sorted out and back on the road.
                        1978 GS1000E
                        1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
                        1981 GS1100E
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1982 GS1000SZ
                        1983 GS1100ED
                        1983 GS1100ESD
                        1978 Honda CB750K
                        1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Working...
                        X