GS850G owner in New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G owner in New Zealand

Hi everyone! Way back in the early 90s one of my friends had a GS850G in black. At the time I thought it was a really nice bike, with just the right mix of practicality and style - a proper big bike without the vices of the sports bikes. I was going through a phase with BSA unit singles at the time, so didn't seriously consider buying one, then I moved country, started a family etc etc and motorbikes fell off the agenda.

With the kids getting older, it felt like a good time to get back to bikes, and I started looking at what was around. The modern stuff is OK, but I've always liked old bikes, so when I saw a decent-looking 1986 GS850G pop up, I was very interested. Long story short, I bought it for $2700 NZD (which is about $1900 USD). High mileage at 115,000km but it hasn't been butchered around and does seem to have been generally looked after. First registered in November 1986 so it must be one of the very last ones.

I think the 4 into 1 is the only significantly non-standard part. It's a bit noisy, but at least it isn't offensively ugly. I'll be keeping an eye out for a set of original pipes.

I changed oil, filter and brake fluid and have done nothing else to it. I'm really happy with everything about the bike, it has lived up to everything I wanted! The engine is strong and it handles really nicely. It feels completely solid and I haven't had any nasty surprises with maintenance. It does have the cam-walk tapping from the top-end but I'm already learning to live with it

I know it's a heavy under-powered barge by modern standards but I 100% honestly don't care - it's a really good ride and there's clearly many good years left in this bike.

Also there's a really good community here on GSR who have already been really welcoming and helpful.

Took a trip out to Muriwai beach today and took a few snaps. Here you go:

Welcome to the site. Nice looking bike. My advice would be to get yourself some better tires. I see that nasty K-E-N-D-A on the sidewall of the front tire. Those are not very well liked by most on this forum.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
      Welcome to the site. Nice looking bike. My advice would be to get yourself some better tires. I see that nasty K-E-N-D-A on the sidewall of the front tire. Those are not very well liked by most on this forum.
      Yeah, aware tires aren't the best. I'll ride it for the Summer and then take it off the road when Winter comes (I'm an unashamed fair-weather biker!). Will then put braided brake lines on, do the more involved maintenance jobs and decide at that stage if I can justify new tyres.

It can get a mild weave going when it hits a bump mid-corner, but I understand this is more likely to mean suspension is tired or not set up properly? Or is it going to be a combo of tires and suspension? I'll do some reading through the forum over the coming months before I open my wallet too far...

Comment

Very nice! and still a handsome bike in 1986.... don't see many- Seems like mostly '80-82 850s on the forum

Fork oil is easy to check, and change, just in case the levels are different or airpressure not equal or just as a job on a bike new -acquired, just as in brakes and oil and rear wheel spline grease on a shaft drive.

Comment

Great bike and awesome pictures, helps us that are suffering with rain and cold. Welcome to the site.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Sweet bike!

Comment

Thanks for introduction.

Nice photos.

I really like the paint stripe pattern. I dont know if that is particular to your part of the world, or 86 850 (which I have never seen before).

Do check the charging system before too long.

Before Next time you have the rear wheel off, learn about the splines in the hub there.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Also don't know about the paint scheme, but I do like it - it's a real 80's vibe. My friend's one back in the UK had a paint scheme that I'm pretty sure I haven't seen on here either - it was black, and the pin-striping was a bit more subtle than the US ones I've seen on here.

I also like the low bars, whereas the majority of GS850s seem to have the Californian style. I've always liked to be sitting forward a little bit and I'm very comfortable on this bike. The previous owner lived in KeriKeri which is about 130 miles North, and it was very little strain to ride that distance, even on a bike that I was totally unfamiliar with!

Someone has done some work to the charging system. It has a non-OEM R/R and some other stuff has been done. Has been ok so far so I'm not going to rip in there. I always have my AA card if it craps out on me...

Comment

Welcome to the site. Pretty sure that's a NZ new paint scheme, think I've seen it on other 850's. Pipe I think is a Cycleworks from Wellington area. The bar is what we got here and in Oz too I think.
                  The reg/rec fitted is most likely a Honda one - that is the common fix here.
                  I'm at the other end of the country - Canterbury - but there are a couple of regulars on here from the Auckland area.

Comment

Sweet ride! Welcome and thanks for intro & pics!

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                      there are a couple of regulars on here from the Auckland area.
                      That's useful information, thanks. I will keep an eye out for them on here.

How easy do you find parts supply? It looks like I can get pads, gaskets, filters etc through the dealer just like a new bike, but if I needed (say) a new front caliper would there be a better place to go?

Comment

Originally posted by ChazNZ View Post
                        That's useful information, thanks. I will keep an eye out for them on here.

How easy do you find parts supply? It looks like I can get pads, gaskets, filters etc through the dealer just like a new bike, but if I needed (say) a new front caliper would there be a better place to go?
                        A caliper specifically would most likely be rebuildable locally - unless a mount lug is broken off for instance. Ebay would be your friend in that case. There are of course upgrades which are popular. See the main forum for those.
                        You might be surprised just how much of the GS is rebuildable in NZ. The head on yours I note has no paint. That says to me it's been to an engine reconditioner at some point. Were there receipts with it ? Maybe valve guides, maybe more...
                        I've always tried to get what I can locally - but I'm pre internet...A lot of the locals now are buying overseas and unfortunately it's showing as the local wholesalers are dropping a lot of stock. The wholesaler I always got camchains from has now stopped stocking them, valve stem seals likewise.

Comment

Working...
                        X