Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Las Cruces, NM

Hello all,

I'm the proud second owner of a 1982 GS 1000 L and just brought it down to New Mexico from Iowa. I'm the second owner and we'll see if I can manage to revive the old girl. I have high hopes for this GS, as it was originally purchased from a good friend's dad's shop in Washington, Iowa and I want to be the one to crack the 20,000 mile mark with the help of the information found here.

As for me...I'm an ex-roadracer and this is pretty much the first motorcycle I've been excited about since I quit racing in 2005. What's not to like about an air-cooled, shaft drive mile-eater? And seriously, who doesn't love the Windjammer?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2017, 11:42 PM.

Nice history on the bike, really gives some excitement for the bike I bet. Now of course this post means nothing without pics!
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

IMG_9181.jpg

Touché, I only have a couple of photos of the GS fully clothed from when I picked it up last month. Now, it's rather naked, so let me see if I can post a photo from before the work began.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2017, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Second Photo...

IMG_9182.jpg

And this is the other photo.

Comment

Welcome. Quite the change in chosen rides. Cool on the bikes history.
          Good luck and enjoy.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome!

1982 is a good year...great story about how she got to NM. MrBill is there in Las Cruces...you can spot his orange GS pretty easy.

I'm sure the ol gal cleans up rather nice once you've removed all the accoutrements. Don't be shy about posting those pics either...we've seen the difference.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Looks track worthy as it sits....sliding backrest included.
              I hope you took a "before" pic sitting on the bike in your old leathers.
              Welcome to the site, Pinkie.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

It's good to see another New Mexican on here, welcome! There a few GSR members here in Albuquerque, five that I can think of.

Interesting comment about the windjammer, some hat em some love em. Mine is staying on for sure. Wish I had some lowers though.

I used to head to Las Cruces a couple of times a year when my son went to college there. Now he's at UNM in Albuquerque so I don't head that way much. Lots to see in NM. My experience in Iowa was working in a Cargill facility where they processed corn oil, ethanol etc. Pretty country out there but more to do in New Mexico IMO.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by pinkie940 View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]52975[/ATTACH]

Touché, I only have a couple of photos of the GS fully clothed from when I picked it up last month. Now, it's rather naked, so let me see if I can post a photo from before the work began.
                  Welcome to GSR.

That back rest looks more like a headrest.

Bike itself looks to be in good condition.

You took the fairing off? Still have stock bars?
                  Ride it any distance yet?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Welcome to GSR.

That back rest looks more like a headrest.

Bike itself looks to be in good condition.

You took the fairing off? Still have stock bars?
                    Ride it any distance yet?

You're funny Redman!

I didn't notice it...but I think the backrest is for the backseat rider. Looks like it was installed incorrectly.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                    X