Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from Ohio

Hello all!
    New to GSR, I bought a barn find 1980 GS850G with a Windjammer fairing and Vetter trunk. I am familiar with the 850 since I had ridden one for 7 years. Now I have the barn find running fairly well and it is a nice old bike to ride. The paint is suprisingly good and most of the trim is there too. The old owner had cut the exhaust off in front of the rear axle so I need to remedy that, it's too loud. I currently own the 1980 barn find 850 and a 2012 V-Strom 650. I will try to post a pic of the 850 soon! Any GS owner meets / rides in Ohio?

Welcome to the site. Lots of GS owners from Ohio. Check out Chuck78 (I think that's his username) he has a lot of suggestive routes to ride.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Welcome. .
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Oh, yay, another GSer in oHIo.

Yes, there are a bunch of us here, but most of us are a couple hours south of you. Some a little east of that "south", some a bit west.

Not really a gathering in oHIo, but we do meet up in Indiana in June. Next year, it will be on Father's Day weekend. Details HERE.

Nice bike (I'm partial to 850s) come on down for a visit when it's running well enough. Or make an appointment, you can trailer it down and we can work on it in my shop over a weekend.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome, I ride with a mix-matched group of geezers on Wednesday night's to get supper.
          We will occasionally end up in your neck of the wood. Carmey's in Tiffin, Fat Heads in Republic, Rays on The Bay in Bayview and The Tackle Box II in Fremont amongst others.
          We have Wing's, BMW's, Harley's, Spyders and my Suzuki.
          Alan

sigpic
          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I live in WV and ride the southeast section of Ohio quite a bit. Lovely roads between Parkersburg and Chillicothe.
            "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Hey you live on the same street as me, RT224 well same street just 150 miles away! (RT224 goes across the whole state of Ohio) 👍
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

I would say your 850 is not so ugly.
                (but then again, I had 850G with samsonite bags and trunk that look exactly like suitcases - big suitcases.)

Well, the exhaust aint so pretty.
                Good to see that you want to do something about that.

Findlay OH to Bedford IN is 130 miles.

Do post pics, and introduce yourself some more.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Findlay OH to Bedford IN is 130 miles.
                  Dave, Not sure if you need a new map or just get your odometer recalibrated, but STRAIGHT-LINE, it's 213 miles from Findlay to Bedford.
                  If the road he needs to take has any curves (most of them do, down here), Google Maps says it's 270-285 miles.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Dave, Not sure if you need a new map or just get your odometer recalibrated, but STRAIGHT-LINE, it's 213 miles from Findlay to Bedford.
                    If the road he needs to take has any curves (most of them do, down here), Google Maps says it's 270-285 miles.

Steve,
                    I did google search "Bedford IN Findley OH" ......
                    doah.... now, I see I got distance between Bedford OH and Findlay OH ... doah.

Big U,
                    Do consider joining us in Bedford INDIANA, in June, but you will not want to follow me anywhere now that you see my mapping skills har har har

Although I have managed to make it down to Ohio River and back.

Typically are 25-30 folks from 5-6 states, and 8-10-12 GS's there.

Dave

Last edited by Redman; 10-26-2017, 08:24 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

hello to all OHIO Gs riders, up north we run in packs around the lake...see you all out there when the snow melts

Comment

Welcome aboard! Another Ohio(an) here, down in Dayton. You're only an hour and a half from here, maybe 2 hours to Steve's shop.
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                        X