New member from northern lower Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from northern lower Michigan

I have been reading on this forum since April.
    I bought a 1978 GS550E that had been dropped but it came with a low milage (2,300 ) GS550C for a parts bike.
    I used many parts to get the E going and rode it all summer it now has 5,000 miles. The 550C motor ran excellent so this fall I bought a 1982 GS550L that was a non runner and was going to do a motor transplant for a winter project. After doing some research I think the L motor will run OK!
    I have new carb boots orings carb kits and am waiting on some valve shims from Ray at the GS valve exchange.
    I presently have 11 bikes in the garage so yes I have a motorcycle weakness!

Welcome to the site, Snowman.
    Inquiring minds need to know, what else you got in the stable.
    btw, ownership of 11 bikes is a passion not a weakness.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

SM,

11 bikes. We can help you with that.
      Yah, can help you justify that. Can say that is normal.

GS550E, 550C, 550L, and a Kaw KL250.
      Any of the other 7 interesting?

Put some miles on the 550 this sumer, eh, Can you report on any interesting rides there from Cadillac?

With the name of SnowMan, might you have some other motorize sport machines.....?

Dave
      Last edited by Redman; 12-09-2017, 09:32 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Snowman, welcome. 11 bikes.... awesome. As noted we like pics, even of the non GS variety.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks guys!
          I am an early retire have had some health issues so needed to slow down.
          Yes I have snowmobiles but keep them around for the grandkids.
          Its a good hobby to fire up the furnace out in the garage and bring back history one bike at a time!
          Probably my most interesting bikes would be the 84 650 Nighthawk that I found that had been stored in an attic of a house on Torch Lake since around the year 2000.
          A true attic find dusty and needing TLC but a beauty now.
          Oct 6 found me buying a brand new 2014 Honda CB1100!
          I need to figure out how to post pictures!
          Kevin

Comment

December

IMG_20171203_133539_burst_03.jpg
            Picture after last Sundays ride

Comment

My Garage

78 CB550's
              Attached Files

Comment

My old stomping grounds in the 80s. Cadillac, Irons, Manistee, and Kalkaska. Good times. Welcome aboard the crazy train.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman550 View Post
                  Oct 6 found me buying a brand new 2014 Honda CB1100!
                  I need to figure out how to post pictures!
                  Kevin
                  Man, Kev, You sure get around. Torch Lake, Hudsonville, just in recent weeks.

Often hear the new CB1100 mentioned on these bike forums. I have seen them in the showroom (often 2-3 years old) and salesman say lots of folk looking but none bought it. And I notice they say "it", not "them".
                  You say you bought one. Good.
                  Maybe you got the new CB1100 from Muskegon (Babbitts). I think that is where I last saw one.

Ah, I see you have now listed bikes in sig line.
                  Yah, no need to describe the snowmobiles.

I see you have devised a way to store/display more bikes in your garage. Ha!
                  And I see you made that platform as tall as possible, specific to that bike (without mirrors).
                  Getting bike up there must be something. (Didnt see fork truck.)

To better post pictures (and have multiple per post), they need to first be hosted on another picture hosting site (say, Imgur or FLicker or other....not Photobucket).

Dave
                  Last edited by Redman; 12-10-2017, 04:49 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53437[/ATTACH]
                    Picture after last Sundays ride
                    Never seen that paint scheme.
                    Was it a special edition or something?
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Paint

IMG_1236.JPG
                      The dealer ( Central Motor Sports ) in My Pleasant had it painted that way to mimic the 1982 CB1100. I saw the bike two years ago when I went for a ride to the motorcycle salvage yard down that way.
                      It was stock paint color then.
                      They had a huge rebate so I finally decided to buy one. Its a great bike smooth as a watch, but feels heavy to me I guess I got used to my GS550E
                      which I ride most. I only put on 200 miles before winter hit here!
                      I decided to take the CB 550 parts bike and put it above my bench for a display piece, and yes I get a lot of comments on it!

Comment

My John Deere compact utility tractor with pallet forks put it up there!
                        I made a pallet and strapped it to the bike
                        I only hope I don't need to retrieve a part off it next summer! I did keep the pallet just in case!

Comment

I have been reading on this forum since April.
                          I bought a 1978 GS550E that had been dropped but it came with a low milage (2,300 ) GS550C for a parts bike.
                          I used many parts to get the E going and rode it all summer it now has 5,000 miles. The 550C motor ran excellent so this fall I bought a 1982 GS550L that was a non runner and was going to do a motor transplant for a winter project. After doing some research I think the L motor will run OK!
                          I have new carb boots orings carb kits and am waiting on some valve shims from Ray at the GS valve exchange.
                          I presently have 11 bikes in the garage so yes I have a motorcycle weakness!

Welcome to you!

That said, you make me feel bad, as I have never owned more than five bikes at the same time
                          "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
                          Winston Churchill

Comment

I took an 82 GS550L beater non-runner that I picked up cheap $300 last winter for a project and turned into a GS550T by swiching the seat, bars, side covers, rear grab rail and it is a much nicer looking ride. New seat cover from Pit Replicas on eBay. DSC_0082.jpg Have fun with the GS550 project!
                            GS550T 1981
                            GS850G 1983
                            GS650G 1982
                            GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Nice bike!!!!
                              I love the 550's

Comment

Working...
                              X