Another new member from Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another new member from Canada

New to the forum. Just picked up a 1982 GG850L, 13,000km,carbs ultrasoniclly cleaned and rebuilt, new petcock and cleaned tank. Needs some work but looking forward to wrenching on it this winter.

Hi, Roger! Sounds like a good buy at only 13,000km on the odo! But Pictures will tell the tale, so get into howtodothat! You likely already know but need say goto BassCliff's site and dig around for a ton of good stuff!

BikeCliff's Website

Assiniboia, eh? Nice town...I will keep a lookout for a Suzuki next time I roll down Hwy13!

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Do introduce yourself more. Tell us more of your adventures with working on the the 850.
      (Saskatchewan.... a while before riding a would suspect)

We like pictures here.
      Yah, need pictures to know if the black or the maroon 850... need to know before can give any technical advice.
      Also need to know if have modified the L out of it.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I still haven't figured out the picture thing. Tried photobucket but couldn't get it work. Have pics on phone and tablet. Bike is the black and gray. All stock. Mufflers are starting to rot.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Roger. I rebuilt an 850 L several years ago and the mufflers were in poor shape. Then the entire exhaust system was stolen off my back deck early one morning by a scrap metal picker. Ouch! I did not want a 4 into 1 system and found a set in a motorcycle scrap yard, but the mufflers were shot. I ended up cutting the mufflers off and welding a sleeve on. I used a Canadian Tire adapter sleeve and purchased 2 Mac slip-on mufflers with mounting brackets. I also found some heat shield covers and spot welded the brackets onto the header pipes. The Mac slip-ons have a removable baffle end cover which the originals did not. All in all the system looks original. One thing about the 82, the rear drive spline was made of a softer metal that year and is prone to wearing out. There are some postings here on that. Good score on the bike though. I really like the look of the black and grey.

Comment

Roger,

To better post pics, they first need to be on some photo hosting site (like Photbucket, but not photobucket unless you get the top dollar subscription) (like FLicker or Imgur or other). Then copy what is called the IMG code, lots of details to discuss, but first need to have photo hosted/stored elsewhere.
            IMG Code looks like this
            [ i m g ] h t t p s : / / i.imgur.com/ppYLz9s.jpg [ / i m g ]
            (I added spaces so you can see it. Same thing below, without the spaces, shows up as the photo.)

Yes, do learn about the hub in the rear wheel.
            Let me repeat: IN the wheel, not the rear drive unit.
            On microfische is called "joint assembly". SOme folks call "hub" or "spline".
            At a minumm, when have rear wheel off you will want to inspect it. ANd to do a good inspection, especailly if not familiar with this, will have to remove it from the rear wheel. ANd grease it well when put back.
            They can wear, if not greased enough, and then stripp out completley.
            Here is picture of one of mine.

Picture shows a worn one, not complelty stripped out yet. As compared to a new one.
            You can see the wear pattern is not all the way across the spline. THe unworn end is what you can see when remove the wheel and look at it. Need to pull the the hub out of the wheel to get a good look.
            Lots of postings and information on this.
            I am just trying to point out which thing it is we are talking about, and tell you a little bit about it.
            You will want to inspect this, on an 82 especially. Is something that can leave you stranded somewhere.

Last edited by Redman; 12-14-2017, 10:29 AM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I still haven't figured out the picture thing
              for off-site hosting, Google's "Pictures" (or whatever it's called) works ok if you have gmail. It was Formerly"Picasa".

Or, you can use this site by uploading,,use the "Insert Image" icon that's just beside the two worlds on the "Quick Reply" tool bar. You can only put one picture at a time up and by default it shows as a "Thumbnail" that viewers can click to see larger...there's a trick to make it show full size and there's other things that work generally like copying/pasting from other sites blah blah blah..
              I resize the picture to jpeg (jpg) 1024x760 pixels or 800x600 and about 25-50% compression saved as a copy before uploading.

But you will find some more help in the forum faq no doubt. Using a phone will be its own learning curve.
              Do you have a suggestion for a new feature? How about a question for the Editors? Then put them here after reading the Announcements forum and the FAQ first.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-14-2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I will try it again. I don't know why pic is upside down.
                Attached Files

Comment

Roger ,
                  looks like nice 850 there.
                  And an h-d (previously unmentioned). Maybe why the L styling got your attention.

do learn about the rear hub, but don't let that be a reason for some folks to
                  turn you from shaft drive.

maybe when you took picture the phone/camera was upside down (of what it concider up). I have that happen sometime, especially with front lens (selfie). Have to use some photo editor (say, paint.net) to
                  rotate and resave (and maybe resize).
                  Last edited by Redman; 12-15-2017, 03:26 PM. Reason: Rotate resize

Comment

yes, those smartphones...if you are not going through a computer first , it's hard to know how the rest of the world might see it . Phones can be turned around and it gets confusing. It writes "orientation" right into the picture file too-look up "exif" if you want to know more .... But usually simplest pictures are taken with lens up otherwise .always keeping the lens to my left works best on all my phones, especially for movies, or they will be made upside down.

anyways, I can see it is a pretty nice bike! I like that scheme too. Welcome to the site!

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up on the rear hub. I will be doing some research and check it out when I replace the tires in the spring. Both tires have lots of tread but the sidewalls are cracked. I've had my 883 sporty for a couple years now, before that I had a 82 Honda cb900c, 1997 HD flht and my first bike was a 1979 flh shovelhead.

Comment

Working...
                      X