Might pick up a new to me 84 gs650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might pick up a new to me 84 gs650

Looking at an 84 gs650 on Friday and wondering if it’s a good idea. I’m just excited so I’ll see past all the bad without thinking. So looking for advice. Guy says motor is good just needs gasket kits. (Assuming it’s been rebuilt recently) he said it’s his project he lost time for. Also hard tail professionally welded on and a peanut tank comes with it. The bike is not fully assembled. Sense I cannot start it. What are some things I can check for? Bike is $230 thank you all in advance. I’m excited to be part of this forum, I’ve got a big project ahead of me if this is a good deal

Chance
    Attached Files

Hey Chance, welcome aboard!

What is so appealing about that bike to you? Custom hard tail? The challenge of putting it all together? Do you like these old GS's and maybe had one years ago?

Personally, I'd walk away from that. It's a parts bike at best.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Pass on it. There is a real reason why people sell projects that they “don’t have time to finish.” They realize they screwed up and there’s no way back. There are so many beautiful bikes you could have for a reasonable price. Keep looking—and keep posting em.
      sigpic
      1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
      1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
      1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
      On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
      All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
        Hey Chance, welcome aboard!

What is so appealing about that bike to you? Custom hard tail? The challenge of putting it all together? Do you like these old GS's and maybe had one years ago?

Personally, I'd walk away from that. It's a parts bike at best.

The hard tail is nice, the project is very nice to me. I need to keep my brain busy when I’m not at work. Im thinking I’m going to probably spread this project out over this next year, summer would be a nice goal but realistically I will probably tear into this and completely rebuild it to my liking. I’m mainly looking for good frame and good crankcase, head, and gears. Basically good bones. I just figured for 200 bucks, that seems like a good deal for bones to this project. I’ll check it out and I’ll keep my eye open for others as well.

Comment

The condition of the bike is hard to tell from the picture...the motor itself might be worth some bucks, but how many, that depends on a multitude of factors.

What's your background in regards to motorcycles and wrenching on them? I mean, if you have the skills,resources(time, money, space, parts, tools, etc.) _and_ experience, then yes, you might create something cool out of this bucket'o'parts.

Otherwise, this will simply drain your energy, time, money and take up space.

Edit: Oh and welcome to the forum
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

It might be a good parts bike, but you can find much better bikes out there for a bit more. If you want something to practice on I would really lowball him on what he is asking. Before you know it, you will have sunk a thousand into it or more, and for that much, you can get a pretty decent bike. Keep your eyes peeled, there are other bikes out there, not too far away. As for the peanut tank, you will be hopping between gas stations.

Comment

Very valid points. I’ll probably end up passing on this due to it being takin apart and not being able to tell condition of the motor, unless I can talk him down more. Thanks For the advice everyone.

Comment

If you have your heart set on a hardtail I'd go look at it focusing on the frame mod quality. If it's well done the price is worth the frame alone.

Most guys here aren't into such bikes because they compromise function too much. That part is your choice though.

Engines and mechanical stuff can always be fixed.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you want to "hard tail" a bike make steel connectors from the swing arm to the upper shock mounts and bolt them in place of the rear shock. That effectively hard tails it and does no harm if you want to put the shocks back on once you find out it brides like a petrified turd.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahRedBeard View Post
                    Looking at an 84 gs650 on Friday and wondering if it’s a good idea. I’m just excited so I’ll see past all the bad without thinking. So looking for advice. Guy says motor is good just needs gasket kits. (Assuming it’s been rebuilt recently) he said it’s his project he lost time for. Also hard tail professionally welded on and a peanut tank comes with it. The bike is not fully assembled. Sense I cannot start it. What are some things I can check for? Bike is $230 thank you all in advance. I’m excited to be part of this forum, I’ve got a big project ahead of me if this is a good deal

Chance
                    Welcome to the site Chance.

There's not a lot of negotiating room on a $230 bike, so even free it may not be a "good" deal, it will depend on what's needed to get it running.

If you can do 95% of the work yourself and are mechanically/electrically inclined you maybe able to get it back on the road for $2,000 but you could easily spend that and still have a $200 non running bike.

Many sellers are overly optimistic with their claims of what's needed, and if it was only that how come they didn't fix it.

Also you may want to verify the year of the bike (not sure they made a GS650 in 1984) and see what parts cost and if they are still available before you buy.

Is the bike chain or shaft drive?

Shop our large selection of Suzuki 1984 Motorcycle OEM Parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452

Good luck.

David
                    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                      Welcome to the site Chance.

There's not a lot of negotiating room on a $230 bike, so even free it may not be a "good" deal, it will depend on what's needed to get it running.

If you can do 95% of the work yourself and are mechanically/electrically inclined you maybe able to get it back on the road for $2,000 but you could easily spend that and still have a $200 non running bike.

Many sellers are overly optimistic with their claims of what's needed, and if it was only that how come they didn't fix it.

Also you may want to verify the year of the bike (not sure they made a GS650 in 1984) and see what parts cost and if they are still available before you buy.

Is the bike chain or shaft drive?

Shop our large selection of Suzuki 1984 Motorcycle OEM Parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452

Good luck.

David
                      it is chain driven. I’m gunna look at it tomorrow. I’ve talked myself in and out of this deal like 10 times haha I’ll give it a good look tomorrow. I’m reading up on frame numbers and engine numbers to find out what kind of bike I’m looking at here.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That new photo you posted shows that the entire backbone of the frame was hacked off and a skinny pipe welded in its place. WTF? Run don't walk...in the opposite direction.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm siding with Ed (Nessism) on this one. That does not look to me to be a project worthy of any money.

A chain driven 650 was not sold in North America after '82...while not a hard-tail and maybe not your style, here is a link to a nice, cafe-version of one:

We get more than a few red-framed, silver tanked, mid-sized, shed-built cafe racers here on The Bike Shed, but they never fail to pull a crowd online, or in the flesh. It's a formula that just looks right and takes us back to simpler times, where bike parts were raw metal and if anything needed painting (only for protection from the elements, of course) it had to be a colour that implied speed. This lovely build is a mid-eighties Suzuki GS650E and was put together by Chris who now lives in near Hinckley in Leicester, and was purposely built to resemble an old-school Triton-style cafe racer.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I agree with two previous posts. Do not invest a single penny in this, save the money for a bike that is a better starting point.

That frame is only worth what the scrap dealer will give you for the steel. I.e. next to nothing.

Again, what is your background in regards to wrenching on motorcycles? What is your aim here?

I keep asking because this greatly influences what kind of bike you should get.
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

That's not a GS, but a GR650 or Tempter. It is a 2 cylinder, not a 4 cylinder like all the regular GS models. And as suggested, it is heavily cut up / butchered.

If you have no previous experience rebuilding bikes you would be better off walking away from this one and getting something that is at least running and rideable (not necessarily pristine, but at least rideable).
                              Last edited by hillsy; 01-12-2018, 06:41 AM.
                              Current:
                              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
                              X