Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future GS550 owner reporting

Hi guys!

My name is Luuk and I'm coming from The-Netherlands. Although I don't own a GS yet I thought it would be pretty useful to register here on this website which is a source of wisdom to be honest.

As this will be my first motorcycle I was looking for something not too heavy but still enough umph to get me going on the highway. Obviously the looks of the GS range is great and always loved the lines of the motorcycles of the seventies and eighties.

My goal is to first get a GS550 and make it roadworthy, get me going and make some miles on it before I am going to alter anything on the bike itself. (might go for new rear shocks and progressive fork springs)
    preferably It would be the D series with double disc and spoke rims (correct me if I am wrong).

Last week I came across a nice GS550 but in the end there were just too many hidden faults, didn't feel right (brake fluid on the brake disc, quite a bit of oil on the forks, 3rd cylinder wasn't running, gauges not working, new battery but after a few times it only would start with the kickstarter. Overal power was really low (even though 1 cylinder wasn't playing along. and forgot to bring the compression tester.....)

That's all for now.

Luuk

Welcome to the site, Luuk.
    Dual disc, spoke wheels is a favourite look of mine as well.
    Good luck in your search for a suitable GS.
    When you do find one, repair manuals and just about everything else can be found here.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome, Luuk. Curious how you formed the opinion that a "D-series" was double disc brakes and spoked rims.

Usually, in the full model designation, there will be a letter at the end that denotes the model year. Unfortunately, those letters did not always follow a logical sequence. The 550 appeared in the 1977 model year, so it was the GS550B. It continued through '78 and '79, which were C and N. In 1978, there was a model that had a few more features. Might have been cast wheels and some fancier trim, I'm not sure. Anyway, that had the "E" designation, then the year designation, so that would be the GS550EC. The E model continued all the way through 1985, with a few changes along the way, but I think the only ones with spoke wheels were the standard GS550 models from '77-'79. Not sure when they started getting dual discs, and I don't think any left the factory with spokes and dual discs. I could be wrong, as I don't do much with the 550s.

For the full list of what was made when, and the letters for the model years, click HERE.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve,

A very useful site indeed, great How To's and full with info. Already looking forward to getting my hands dirty.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place.

And you already did everything correctly so far; first selecting the 550 as your (very) first bike is a wise choice.

Second, walking away from a bike that isn't roadworthy (must for a beginner's bike IMHO).

The 550 will bring you heaps of joy and prepares you for bigger bikes without endangering your neck too much (relatively speaking. even bicycles can kill you).

Edit: Model designations vary between countries in my experience.
          (...) Not sure when they started getting dual discs, and I don't think any left the factory with spokes and dual discs. I could be wrong, as I don't do much with the 550s.
          Apparently, the spoked wheels/dual disc combination was specific to Germany, where the 550D was sold in this fashion. http://gs-classic.de tells me that anyway. I suspect it might've been sold like that in other EU countries as well.
          Last edited by roeme; 01-12-2018, 09:17 AM.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I was talking to a seller who said it would be the D series, that's why
            At least here in The-Netherlands, most GS550 with spokes also have dual discs, not sure if there was a difference between models in The States and Europe though.
            When I search for GS550D it mainly comes up with European (parts-) sites.

Comment

DB and DC models were European variants, with twin discs and spokes.
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

Good to know. Thanks.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Luuk, Welcome to GSR.

Yes, 550 would be not too big, yet enough for the highway. 650 and 750 not much bigger.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I too am not sure what to think about "D series".

Here are what models of 550
                    Suzuki GS550 1977—1978
                    Suzuki GS550E 1978—1981
                    Suzuki GS550L 1979—1986
                    Suzuki GS550M Katana 1981—1983
                    Suzuki GS550T 1981—1984

Use link below for info on various year 550s

GS 550 E 1980
                    Overall Length: 2 175 mm (85.6 in)
                    Overall Width: 850 mm (33.5 in)
                    Overall Height: 1 150 mm (45.3 in)
                    Wheelbase: 1 435 mm (56.5 in)
                    Dry Weight: 196 kg (431 lbs)
                    Engine type: Air-cooled 549 cc inline-4, DOHC, 8 valves. 49 hp (35,8 kW) / 9,000 rpm, 42 Nm / 7,500 rpm.

Click on the image for larger format.
                    Here's more Suzuki GS550E info.
                    Last edited by Redman; 01-13-2018, 10:14 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Currently eying on an other Gs550D with spoke wheels and double disc's. The seller said the 3rd cylinder doesn't fire, there is a spark and compression.
                      I will bring the compression meter. Seller said most likely a carb issue.
                      Do you guys have any tips? Anything in specific I can check or test?

Comment

Take a plug spanner, see if #3 spark plug is wet, after the others have run.
                        1980 GS550ET

Comment

You have to figure that IF it is just a carb issue, it will not be solved just by simply spraying a little carb cleaner into the carb, as the seller has probably already done that and it still doesn't work. Cleaning up a carb isn't hard per se, but it isn't a walk in the park either. Getting all the carbs synced could be a pain in the butt as well. Just know what you're getting into and make an offer accordingly.
                          1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
                          1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
                          Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Rust_to_Redemption View Post
                            Getting all the carbs synced could be a pain in the butt as well.
                            If your butt hurts when doing a carb sync, you are doing it all wrong.

The first time you do one, it might take a little bit of time, but after doing it a few times, it's over and DONE well within 15 minutes, and that includes hooking up the gauges, synchronizing the carbs, removing the gauges and putting everything back in place.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Just to see if I am right: If the spark plug is wet, it could be weak spark, weak coil (also if cylinder 3 is just fine?), too rich mixture in general (or due to carburator float issue). ?

I will bring a compression tester, plug spanner, multi meter and spark plug NGK B8ES.

Previously I bought an old set of VM carbs to clean and reassemble. Wanted to have a little bit more knowledge of these carbs in general. I have cleaned this set thoroughly and used my ultrasonic cleaner for it as well. Most likely will check the bike this Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X