Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie from CA . 1980 GS750L Cafe Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from CA . 1980 GS750L Cafe Project.

Greetings everyone! Stoked to be here. Ive been looking for a project bike for awhile now so I picked up a 1980 GS750L for $200 at a garage sale that i couldnt pass up. This is my very first build and Im very excited about it and spent a week off and on tearing her down with lots of hours and hours of researching. Itll be a full rebuild/cafe project. I have already learned alot from this site and look forward to learning a lot more from you all. Cheers!
    -Nicky G

20180126_112014.jpg

Welcome!

Make sure you get the bike running proper before you begin modifications (or rather, continue the existing ones). Especially so since this is your first project.

As on that topic; the bike has CV carbs, and these do not play well with pods. It's to be doubted that the PO has done that correctly.

Best of luck with your project, you have your work cut out for you. A rebuild for a first project sure is a steep bill.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
      Welcome!

Make sure you get the bike running proper before you begin modifications (or rather, continue the existing ones). Especially so since this is your first project.

As on that topic; the bike has CV carbs, and these do not play well with pods. It's to be doubted that the PO has done that correctly.

Best of luck with your project, you have your work cut out for you. A rebuild for a first project sure is a steep bill.
      Thank you for your input!! I probably should have said in my original post that i have been working on bikes of all caliber for close to 10 years. This is a first FULL rebuild project for myself, Itll definitely be a long process but im looking forward to it all!
      As for the pods i will be getting rid of those and putting the stock airbox back on... its on the list and it is sure is a looooong list haha...

Comment

Nicky, welcome to the site. Nice intro.
        Had to look Mariposa up on the map. I bet you have great roads for riding in that area.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Nicky, welcome to the site. Nice intro.
          Had to look Mariposa up on the map. I bet you have great roads for riding in that area.

Thank you! Happy to be here! Oh we sure do! One called babgy grade/little dragon... most popular for all rider's. Heres a little video of it (not mine). I dont ride that road anymore tho because i was all about street bikes and pushed the limit too hard. Hit some gravel on a turn and had to bail... bike shot off the cliff, down 100+ feet. At 5:24 mins in the video is that turn.
          Aaaaand that is why i decided to build a cruiser kinda bike haha sold off the super sports....

Comment

Originally posted by NickyGS750 View Post
            Thank you! Happy to be here! Oh we sure do! One called babgy grade/little dragon... most popular for all rider's. Heres a little video of it (not mine). I dont ride that road anymore tho because i was all about street bikes and pushed the limit too hard. Hit some gravel on a turn and had to bail... bike shot off the cliff, down 100+ feet. At 5:24 mins in the video is that turn.
            Aaaaand that is why i decided to build a cruiser kinda bike haha sold off the super sports....
            https://youtu.be/LBE-ug4CLtM
            Yikes! Gravel gets your attention in a hurry. Welcome to GSR.
            sigpic
            1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
            1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
            1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
            On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
            All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Working...
            X