Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak

Just started the GS850. Been standing up for winter. I noticed that there is a leak from the far left carb onto the engine, leaving a brown stain. When i run my hand under the carb, there is a brown fuel smelling substance there. Could this be a sticking float? Or something else?
    Regards
    Pete

Originally posted by peterd123 View Post
    Just started the GS850. Been standing up for winter. I noticed that there is a leak from the far left carb onto the engine, leaving a brown stain. When i run my hand under the carb, there is a brown fuel smelling substance there. Could this be a sticking float? Or something else?
    Regards
    Pete
    If the petcock was shutting off fuel flow as it should with no vacuum present, the carb couldn't leak. If the float needle/fuel inlet seat was not leaking it couldn't leak fuel even though the petcock was leaking. Brown fuel is usually indicative of gas being at the varnish stage. so at the very least, you have a faulty petcock, a stuck or leaking fuel needle valve/seat and varnish in your tank.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks, will flush it out.
      Regards
      Pete

Comment

The tap on my tank does not have anything to turn on or off.
        Regards

Comment

Sounds like your bike is an '80.
          A bit more info on that petcock.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Your fuel tap will have 'on' and 'prime' positions. Make sure it is not set to prime (even though this still needs a vacuum to get it started)

If your trouble lies with the fuel tap then a new replacement is the best answer. Rebuilds and repair kits don't usually do the job. Ask me how I know.

As has been said, you also need to clean the carb(s). Be prepared to do it more than once until it is right. While you're in there check the o ring on the needle velve set up.
            The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

"Your fuel tap will have 'on' and 'prime' positions. Make sure it is not set to prime (even though this still needs a vacuum to get it started)"

This isn't registering on my brain. What is the good of a prime position if it still needs vacuum? I'm missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                "Your fuel tap will have 'on' and 'prime' positions. Make sure it is not set to prime (even though this still needs a vacuum to get it started)"

This isn't registering on my brain. What is the good of a prime position if it still needs vacuum? I'm missing something?
                It just needs a quick crank to generate a quick bit of vacuum open the valve diaphragm and then the prime will flow.
                In the ON position it would need a lot more cranking over to get fuel to the carbs. All explained in the pic below.

fuel tap.jpg

Comment

The registration document say 79. Thanks for the info.

Comment

The diagram says to change to on immediately, how do i do that, there is no switch or leaver.?
                    Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
                    It just needs a quick crank to generate a quick bit of vacuum open the valve diaphragm and then the prime will flow.
                    In the ON position it would need a lot more cranking over to get fuel to the carbs. All explained in the pic below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54085[/ATTACH]

Comment

20180224_184644_resized (2).jpg
                      The diagram says to change to on immediately, how do i do that, there is no switch or leaver.?
                      Just taken this picture. Engine fairly cold now and not running. Went for a short run today for the first time since buying the bike. No leaks at moment. Lets see if there are any tomorrow. Think it came from the hole in the petcock.
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Small flat blade screwdriver in to the slot. 1/4 turn will change from prime to run.

Comment

If your title or registration says it's a '79, they are probably basing that on production date, not the model year.

Production of the 1980 bikes started as early as August, 1979. Some say that it might even be July, I don't know.

Also, based on that photo, it appears that you have the L model. Might be helpful if you generate a signature that will show in every post you make, that says something like "Current bike, 1980 GS850GL".

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X