All-around New Guy from East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-around New Guy from East Texas

First of all, thanks for the add! I've been lurking here off and on for several years, honestly.

I'm a recent Texas transplant who was looking to take advantage of the nice weather, and finally scratch my motorcycle itch. I grew up in a somewhat stereotypical biker family, I'm 3rd generation just getting a late start as usual . My dad has always had Harleys, and my mother rode a number of random imports before settling into a Goldwing; but we've always had a healthy appreciation for older motorcycles, and vehicles in general. I personally could never get my primary mode of transport settled long enough to be able to try a motorcycle, but for a brief few years I dove into the scooter realm. It was fun, but a little too slow and helpless for my tastes.

Recently during a rather passive "search" for something two wheeled my GF's father mentioned that he'd be interested in selling his well sorted GS550. I immediately jumped on the opportunity, and will be taking delivery sometime early next week!

I'm a DIY'er with an extremely strong background in mechanical things, but I've never really gotten involved with motorcycles beyond helping some friends get old basketcases running. That being said, I'm looking for some insight on good websites to get parts, maintenance, upgrade, cosmetic, etc. She's an '81 if that makes any difference.

I plan on going through it to triple check everything, and then just ride it for this Summer, and after that maybe look into some mild to moderate upgrades. I'd like to keep the look similar, while giving it sort of an OEM+ feel with a bit of modern influence for reliability and safety type stuff.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have to throw my way, I look forward to becoming an active member!

Welcome to the site, Lee.
    Doesn't look like your new ride needs much work.
    For parts, if you have been lurking for a while you will have noticed the buy and sell forums on this site are very active.
    Z1 Enterprises is a good place if you are looking for new stuff. https://www.z1enterprises.com/
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

.... A 550t. Looks good as well. Between advice you will receive and archived info, you’ll find all you need here.
      Welcome and good luck. Looks like your starting point is a solid bike, but it should still be gone over.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Z1 Enterprises and Partszilla is who I use. Customer service at Z1 can be a great source of help/info so I try to spend money there when possible.

Welcome from Greenville, Tx. by the way

Comment

Working...
        X