82 gs 1100 gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs 1100 gl

This is my first motorcycle and ive had a great time cleaning it up and riding!

I bought it from an old friend who was the 2nd owner of the motorcycle and he kept good track records on what has been dond. Also kept the original stator and r&r since they both tested to be in working condition.

The motorcycle works but it does have its problems. Being that im new to most components and the motorcycle is functional ive postponed on trying to do anything major to it to correct issues. Mostly spending my time cleaning the engine until I know for sure im not replacing parts i dont need and also causing more issues trying to fix something i dont know much about.

Here is a list of what all problems im unsure how to resolve.

*Battery does not hold charge
    "i was given the stator and r&r that the previous owner had replaced. I had them both tested at suzuki dealership and both tested to be in working condition."
    So I changed out the R&R with the one i had tested. After putting in the tested R&R I tested the battery voltage while the motorcycle was running in idle. It was dropping voltage lower then the R&R that was previously mounted so i changed them back out.
    I have yet to try changing the stator from the one i had tested at dealership because i am unsure where its located on engine and how time consuming it will be to swap out.
    Also i have cleaned several wires that had calcium with wire brush and put the no corrosion gel on it.
    I replace any coupling wires i find that appear brown inside clear plastic assuming the connection is pore and overheats.

*Fuel gauge stopped working
    I haven't looked to much into it but probably pinched a wire.

*speedometer doesnt work
    Cable is routed to speedometer and is secure. But unsure about any wiring that would prevent it from working. The gauge does light up while motorcycle is on. Just no response to speedometer needle.

*RPM gauge doesn't work
    The cable is not secure to gauge. The female thread broke off while i was trying to secure it thinking it wasn't working bc it wasnt tight enough. The cable does spin but no response to RPM gauge. Gauge itself does light up while running.

*carb could use cleaning
    Ive notived blowback from exhaust lately. Cleaned air filter.

First of all, welcome.

Next, look up user Chuck Hahn. Send him a private message. He is just south of you in Norman.
    He will be able to help you in-person, which is a lot better than internet-based guesssing.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Weinstein View Post
      This is my first motorcycle and ive had a great time cleaning it up and riding!

Welcome to GSR.

Some comments:

Any GS charging system doesnt produce an charging at idle speed. Needs to be up to 2500 or so, about 4000 for most charging.

Speedo is entirely mechanical, operates entirly on the spinning cable. Only thing electrical about it is the light to illuminate the meter face. Same for the tacho.

You may see the tach cable spinning, but try to hold it loosley with your fingers, it might be broke and can stop it real easy with your fingers.

Can test the stator by disconnecting from the R/R and measure voltage with engine at about 4k rpm. Measure about 70vac between each pair of the 3 wires. Are other tests, but this is the main, most improtant one.

Oh, wait, Wait....
      We are not suppose to give any advise/help untill you post pics of the bike.
      We need to know if it is the marroon or the black or the two tone.

What you doing for learning to ride your first bike.....?

Last edited by Redman; 03-09-2018, 11:25 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Actually Redman GSs do show charging voltage at idle.. Hondas dont and THEY take a run above 2000 to get charging going. If you arent getting charge showing at the battery while at an idle you need to do the Duaneage Honda R/R mod and youll see good strong idle charging going on.

In any case, the Stator failed both continuity and short to ground tests so I replaced it. That is another story all into itself, by the way!!! He's charging now but there is a lot lot lot of work to be done on this bike.....
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
        X