No announcement yet.

Decided I'm not a “Biker”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just a guy that owns a few motorcycles. I also own a car and a truck but I don't self-identify as a "driver".
    2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
    2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      True. But that's why I disassociate myself as far away from anything to do with herdleys as I can. I want no part of the association of my face and side business with Harley.
      Chicken! I'd ride with anybody.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

No problems with being a biker here in the UK. We don't have the same kind of association that you in the US have.
        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
          No problems with being a biker here in the UK. We don't have the same kind of association that you in the US have.
          Yeah, you guys have the Mods and the Rockers. Is that still a thing?
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Far too many Harley models are lacking the lean angle capabilities, braking power, or ease of agile and quick handling necessary to keep up with me in the twisties, and this has proven to be extremely detrimental...
            Harleys in general are for an altogether different riding style than what I cater to and what I equip my bike builds for.
            A "professional" Harley stunt rider with quite an ego that I know, swears up and down that he'll race me on any road in the NC mountains and beat me, with his ratty 650lb 58hp shovelhead '84 FXR & 25,000 mile underperforming highway tires... Same guy described the Tail of the Dragon to our buddy as "Ah... it's overrated, it's one of those roads that's just no fun because it'll just wear ya out from having to muscle the bike over left right left right left the whole run" - Gee, I have no problem on my "Jap bike" doing that, & in fact the first time I rode the US129 Drahon, I cancelled the rest of my day and just rode the dragon back and forth! Same Harley rider has crashed 2 different 900 lb baggers in 3 years. weaving in and out of traffic, cutting off cars on the interstates, trying to ride like Evel Knievel on a bike that likes to ride only in a straight line... 6 month and now expected 12 month recovery times after $150,000 crash and who knows how astronomical this crash's bills will be...
            Point being - too many die hard Harley riders will accept no shortcomings in their brand, despite obvious comparisons of design capabilities...
            I love my old Suzuki's and Kawasaki's, but if you compare them to a newer R6, of course I'll be the first to say that yes, if the rider has the skills to pilot it to its limits (not as common as one would thing to be able to take modern sports machines to their extreme limits!), then those bikes will drastically outperform the m I differ vintage machines which I love so dearly...

This stunt rider fellow sadly influenced my lady to buy in to the Harley boys' clique to fit in and cruise...
            The last time I test rode it after fixing several problems, was the first time I rode it on the highway. The bike had such poor handling even in a straight line that I call it my scariest motorcycle ride ever! Once I'd hit approximately 75-85 (speedo needle fell off), the frame design, swingarm bushings, and tall windshield would induce a NASTY high speed weave left right left right buffeting rapidly back and forth... nearly every time I'd approach these speeds, and worse if I caught the turbulence off of any high profile vehicles adjacent or ahead...
            She laid it down following me on a North Carolina mountain road, and I was taking it somewhat easy. Scraped hard parts, leaned back upright slightly, couldn't negotiate the turn, jammed on the underwhelming brakes with underwhelming poor gripping Michelin American something or other highway tires that limit the braking performance further, and low sided...
            That would NOT have happened in that way at this particular instance on her GS or the KZ that she almost bought....

Riding a harley cruser or bagger is a different kind of "fun," I take my fun on two wheels to levels far exceeding the abilities of most Harleys...

Most die hard Harley riders will never admit to any if that, they have a brand image to uphold...
            Most harley riders are just weekend warrior types on the fringes of the biker culture anyway, and sporty riding is not something most of them seek out.

To each their own...

I like the look of the old Shovelheads, but I steer clear of Harleys due to wanting complete disassociation from the macho American biker image, and due to almost none of their bikes being even close to qualifying for the types of riding I am interested in...
            I prefer my leather to be black armored racing jacket and pants, not sleeveless leather vest full of HD, Don't Tread on Me, POW-MIA, Confederate racist flag patches, etc
            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

To further a small segment of my sentiments above, riding with my buddies all over, the KZ1000 got soooo many comments/compliments from many Harley riders, generally all touting "wow, I owned one of those way back, fastest bike I've ever been on!"
              All with smiles on their faces...
              People who respect other brands but are also on the fringes of the "Biker" & "Harley" cultures. Not everyone fits 100% into every mold of every stereotype...

But yes, I want NOTHING to do with the macho American "Biker" image in regards to myself!!!!!! I will associate with some friendly Harley fans, however, I just know the Harleys are not for me, and generally are not able to be ridden the way I prefer to ride... just a novelty, they don't generally put an ear to ear grin on my face as Japanese, Euro, or even modern Indian Scout cruisers can do.. those things are wicked fast and have substantial cornering clearance, despite their 1940's cruiser throwback appearance!!!
              Last edited by Chuck78; 03-29-2018, 09:00 AM.
              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Well, ok then. Good for you.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  Yeah, you guys have the Mods and the Rockers. Is that still a thing?

It's not been a problem for as long as I have been riding (1978).

I also have a more or less 50/50 split of mates who ride scooters such as Lambrettas, Vespas to those who ride bikes. We more often than not will ride together as it's all about having a good time on your weapon of choice.
                  Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                    Far too many Harley models are lacking the lean angle capabilities, braking power, or ease of agile and quick handling necessary to keep up with me in the twisties, and this has proven to be extremely detrimental...
                    Harleys in general are for an altogether different riding style than what I cater to and what I equip my bike builds for.
                    Well yeah, not all, but most HD riders ride like senior citizens nursing a Prius. LOL Considering the bike's capabilities, I probably wouldn't be any more aggressive than that either. heh I really wish they would at least go the speed limit when they're out cruising in 30-40 bike gaggles.
                    It gets really old being on a nice curvy back road with no passing and being stuck behind half a mile of HD's riding at 25 mph on the straight sections and slowing down for a curve.
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
                      It's not been a problem for as long as I have been riding (1978).

I also have a more or less 50/50 split of mates who ride scooters such as Lambrettas, Vespas to those who ride bikes. We more often than not will ride together as it's all about having a good time on your weapon of choice.
                      Those scooter guys might fancy they're bikers too...or riders...or what ever your two wheeled operator description of choice might be...

Comment

Hmmm... if I'm on on my scooter am I still a motorcyclist?..... or does it go by the machine of moment?
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'll add my two cents on this thread....not to stir a pot nor offend anyone.
                          My motorcycling friends are a varied group....though mostly "jap" standard, crotch rocket and cruiser bikes, three are harleys. We all appreciate each others company no matter what the others ride. We do sort of pick on scooters, sadly.(head hung in minor shame). We've seen the squids ignore us "half" the time...harley riders half the time(unless other hd's are with us), and most of the other jap aficionados will wave or nod. I know new riders won't always wave as they're too busy concentrating sometimes.
                          Still...
                          I think we all share a passion of the same type, just on different genres.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            Hmmm... if I'm on on my scooter am I still a motorcyclist?..... or does it go by the machine of moment?
                            So are you a Mod or a Rocker? I'm a Mocker...

I wasn't sure if it was George or Ringo... it was Ringo that said it to a reporter.
                            Last edited by storm 64; 03-30-2018, 09:48 PM.
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              Nope....scooters are for "scooterers"....lol...��

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                                So are you a Mod or a Rocker? I'm a Mocker...
                                He kept part of the origonal patina and polished other things....if he's not mocker then it must be "rod".....lmao....sorry...wifes looking at me funny now for busting out laughing...

Comment

Working...
                                X