No announcement yet.

Info from VIN.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found the label still in good condition. Here are two pics.20180403_185315_resized.jpg
    Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Just took a look at the photo, thought I would pass on a tidbit that nobody else has mentioned so far.

Your bike is a 1980 GS850GL. Yes, it's an "L". Some like them, others don't. I will just say that your particular model was a "one year only" model. The '81 850GL got a larger, sleeker gas tank and different airbox covers and side covers that were kept for the '82 and '83 model years. Yours was also unique in that it was the only "L" offered with a 17" rear tire.

The paint code is, indeed, 08E. I have the same color on my '80 850G. I don't know the official name of the color, but Nessism's description of "Pearl Black" is rather accurate. Under bright sunlight, it's easy to see the pearl colors, especially gold.

Comment

20180403_185627_resized.jpgthe other pic.
      Originally posted by peterd123 View Post
      Just found the label still in good condition. Here are two pics.[ATTACH=CONFIG]54456[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by peterd123 View Post
        Just found the label still in good condition. Here are two pics..........
        Yah, there is the foil tag I was describing.
        See the manufacture date of 12/79, yep 1980 model.
        (and now I see your pictures of the bike, yah 1980 L, GL actaully)

I think somewhere else on that tag, if it is not worn off by the cables, you will see "GS850GLT", G for shaft drive, L for L model, T for 1980 model year.
        Is actaully listed in catalogs as a GL, but in talking we sometimes say L because that is what is on the side panel, and L is enough to distinguish from a G. But it is a GL.
        Which can be somewhat confusing since there are other L that are L not GL.
        Last edited by Redman; 04-03-2018, 02:22 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks, getting there at last. Great help from everyone.. So when will it be historic as far as road tax is concerned. Some say April 1st 19 others say Jan 1st 19, As the log book just says Manufactured 1979.
          Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Yah, there is the foil tag I was describing.
          See the manufacture date of 12/79, yep 1980 model.
          (and now I see your pictures of the bike, yah 1980 L, GL actaully)

I think somewhere else on that tag, if it is not worn off by the cables, you will see "GS850GLT", G for shaft drive, L for L model, T for 1980 model year.
          Is actaully listed in catalogs as a GL, but in talking we sometimes say L because that is what is on the side panel, and L is enough to distinguish from a G. But it is a GL.
          Which can be somewhat confusing since there are other L that are L not GL.

Comment

Yes, many of the chain-driven bikes had "L" variants, as well as the shafties. Although the "G" at the end of the bike model signified the shaft drive, Suzuki, for some reason, chose to not put the "G" where there was also an "L", so your side covers only say "GS850L". That was also true with the 650, 1000 and 1100 GL models.

Consider yourself fortunate that the bike seems to fit. For many of us, the angle of the hand grips puts our wrists at a very awkward angle, making them uncomfortable almost instantly. There are those who would also rather lean into the wind while moving, which those higher bars will not allow. Installation of a windscreen helps a lot, taking the wind pressure off the torso, meaning that you don't HAVE to lean into the wind, but that still leaves the awkward angle of the hand grips.

My wife really enjoys her 850L, but she is short, and the bike has been set up for her. It's low enough for her to actually reach the ground (but not quite as well as she would like) while still being a decent-size bike to be able to handle road trips well.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X