• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introductions and new project

Hello Everyone,

My name is Rahman, I am new to the Forum, I just purchased 2 bike:
    - 1981 GS650G
    - 1982 GS650GL
    Both Bikes were in a shed and are in need of serious work. Picked both up for $300 total.
    The 1981 will be mine, a buddy of mine is taking the 1982.

I have been reading a ton on this site and finally wanted to say hello.
    I am very excited to take on this project, I currently own a 2009 triumph speedmaster but wanted something a bit older, 4 cylinder, carbureted, and found the 650.
    The project will be to turn it into a cafe race (i know some of you hate the idea, but hey, everyone is different and thats why we like to make them our own).
    I have a mechanic who is helping me with the buildout. Here are my current thoughts and ideas, I hope to get some feedback and answers to my questions:

1- Get the engine running (it currently turns over but there is an oil leak out of the crankcase)
    2- Clean and rebuild carbs with a Dynojet Stage 3 Kit, Pod Filters, and 4 into 1 Exhaust (Not sure which slip on to add, I hope you all can chip in), i would like something with a deep rumble but relatively quiet at idle as i get off work at 1 am and do not want to take up the whole neighborhood on a nightly basis.
    - Is there anything to pay attention to regarding the carbs, intake, and slip-ons in terms of tuning, or will they be more-or-less plug and play?
    3- I understand that my bike is Shaft Driven, But i would like to know what kind of power to expect. Currently on my Triumph, the acceleration is pretty good (0-60 under 6 seconds) and 3rd gear pulls all the way to 90mph).
    4- Aside from the regulator\rectifier, are there any parts that are known to go bad?
    5- I ordered a set of new ignition coils, see below link from Ebay, has anyone used these, do i need additional resistance in the wires?

I will keep you all posted with pictures as soon as I can, as well as future questions and comments.

Thank you all so much in advance for any information and assistance.

Cheers
    Rahman

Welcome to the site, Rahman.
    If you haven't already found it, this page from Cliff is full of repair manuals and tutorials.

Not aware of a 4-1 for your model other than a MAC and they are not great systems.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hi,Rahman. Such a deal you got! 2 for $300! Good to post pictures of your finds here( it's good practise if you need help later)
      Nobody much complains about Suzuki shaft drives versus the chain driven bikes. I'm no expert but people have said they don't jack and dive as much as other makes...
      ...I don't know how many here hate the idea of cafe modding but to me the results can sometimes seem bad compared to a bike that was pretty attractive, well-running and comfortable to start with. So at the least try not to toss out the old parts you don't want. maybe Post em here

for the price of shipping or whatever so someone else can use them.

Comment

Welcome. This board has a pretty good group of folks on it, questions tend to get answered pretty quick. Are you sure you want to sell the extra bike? It's nice to have parts around and the second one can be sold after you have one up and running.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Welcome aboard!
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Welcome Rahman,

Lots of stuff going on with your shaftie (term used on shaft driven bikes). And you got 2 for the price of 1 sale...BONUS!

I recently purchased a new R/R and link lead for my bike. Still holding off on install since there are other maintenance items that need attaention.

It would be nice to see pics of said bikes...when you can upload. Enjoy your way around here!

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
            X