Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New into streetbikes, first GS , first project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New into streetbikes, first GS , first project.

Hello people!

Found the forum online, just bought a 1984 GS550EF, rough conditions, but seems like most of the parts are there! Brought the bike home saturday, paid a big 200$ for it. Non-running condition. I plan to tear it all down, and put it back into a somewhat original state with a couple mods, nothing big.

I'll let the pics talk for now.

When it got home ( Its not my first suzuki, i own 2 RM-Z250 16/17)

35414092_1749547985127551_6597537767767408640_n.jpg

Started the tear down

Fuel tank had a pin hole and was rusty, i cleaned the inside with metal rescue, bolts and a lot of shaking. Then i sanded the bottom part of the tank to metal, applied gas tank putty where it needed, and sealed it with Flex Seal( yeah that stupid commercial!) Worked great on a car gas tank i did 2 years ago , so why not?

The seat was faded a bit , so i used a can of Trim/leather dye i had laying around as a test, ended up not bad, time will tell if its gonna hold up. If not i will get it wrapped.

I plan on doing this project in my spare times, i am active military mechanic, father of a 7months and 4 years old, with another baby on the way. I'll take my time! Any tips welcomed! I already know i need a new gauge/cluster assembly as the one that was on the bike is trashed and wires are ripped.

Welcome to the site, Arrow.
    You can find repair manuals, wiring diagrams, carb cleaning tutorials and tons of info for your bike here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Gotta like a photo of a bike resto that shows a well-used hammer.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Welcome to the site, Arrow.
      You can find repair manuals, wiring diagrams, carb cleaning tutorials and tons of info for your bike here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Gotta like a photo of a bike resto that shows a well-used hammer.
      hahaha it was to slide the allen key's all the way into their socket on the different parts .

Comment

Working...
      X