Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from Slovenia!

Hello!
    I posted this in some other topic but it was not the right one.. Hope this is it..?

My name is Jožko (it would be Joe in english) but people mostly call me Juzy. I'm 36 years old and I just love motorbikes, specialy Harleys(since I was around 10) and older jap inline fours.
    I'm from Slovenia, small country in Europe between Italy and Austria.
    I'll probably soon get a Suzuki GS500 (that smaller italian version of GS550) for a 100 euros. Don't know which year it is yet. The condition of the bike is not good so it will need a total rebuild I belive.
    I'm doing some basic researcher over the net for now, but it's not much about exact model. I belive it's the same as GS550 except bore size and carbs. Can someone confirm this?

I also own a Harley sportster 883 converted to 1200 which is year 1986. It wasn't in good condition when I bought it 12 years ago, but now it's in a great shape and runs like a champ. I do all the stuff on it mainly by myself.

Now some questions...
    1. Timing chain and sprockets. When to replace? Are they the same as in the GS550?
    2. Is there anything about transmision that I slould take care of? (shift forks maybe..?)
    3. Are there any bearings that should need special attention?
    4.Which carbs are on this bikes?
    5. Is there anything else on this bikes that is prone to fail and would be the right time to take care of now?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2018, 01:49 AM.

This link will give you a little information on the bike you are considering getting, although it may not be the exact specifications of your motorcycle, as that can very from country to country.

The greatest weekness with these motorcycles is their electrical charging system. Your questons 1-3 are pretty reliable items. That first page of the other thread you posted on has a few links http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._Greeting.html or http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ which can answer your questions, with a little reading.

Please give us some pictures of your Beautiful country! Cheers. cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Welcome to the GSR.

I've just returned from a too-short visit to your south and easterly neighbour of Croatia. Unfortunately, we only passed close by Slovenia, but are already planning on a future visit to your beautiful country. I was surprised to see the popularity of American branded motorcycles.

I can't add much about the bike in question until we know the exact year and model, so keep us up to date with pictures, lots of pictures!
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Welcome Juzy,

I use to live in northern Italy...Sacile! I worked on Aviano Air Base and I'm sorry to say, we didn't make it to Slovenia. I'm bummed.

Anyway, can't wait to see a pic of your new to you bike. Post pics and you will get some replies...even though it needs a rebuild like you say.

You've got a great place to help you rebuild your bike. Enjoy your way around the GSR.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome. .
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I will post some pics as soon as I get the bike. It will probably take some time.

For visiting our country you don't need much time. It's a small coutry. If you like more old towns it is better to go to the east part (Ptuj, Celje, Maribor, Žužemberk and also capital Ljubjana, which is located in the center of the country...). There is also a verry intheresting motorbike museum in Vransko. Vransko is located around 50km (30 miles) easteren of capital Ljubljana.

If you like nature, than Soča valley is the spot. It's on the west part near border with Italy. Here the rivers are cleaner, better for swiming (also a bit colder), more mountains, rafting, canyoning, paraglideing.... In Kobarid there is a great first world war museum.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Part of my family immigrated from that part of Europe three generations ago, I'd very much like to visit some day.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
              X