Restoring a 1977 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring a 1977 GS750

I bought the bike 20 years ago off a friend with the major components disassembled for storage, with the engine, front end and rear wheel removed, and the time has come to put it back together.

I'm starting with the engine, is there anything in particular that I should be looking for?

I also need an exhaust, preferably a standard type in stainless steel, what is recommended?

Afternoon, one thing I should have done when I had the engine in pieces is to replace the tapped threads in the aluminium with wire thread inserts (or Helicoils if you prefer trade names). Stopping and removing parts, especially cam covers and the 2 x M6 bolts on the cylinder head when you strip the thread is a pain in the arse ! Also, enjoy the experience. I started stripping and re-building my '78 GS750 not really knowing what I was doing but now...…….still don't know what I'm doing just better at hiding it.
    1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Sweet! I think all the time about tearing my 1977 GS750 down for a modest rebuild. For now, though, I've been having too much fun riding it!
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

So I've hit my first major issue, I can't get the cylinders off.
        I'm in the UK and apparently winter road crud get's between the cylinder block and the center front studs sticking everything together. I've been spraying with WD40 and washing the crud out slowly for five days now and it still won't budge.

Look at the dirt coming out !

2018-06-24 003.jpg

Any suggestions?

Comment

Does the head move on any of the other studs or is it stuck on all of the studs?
          1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Working...
          X